Garmin Edge 500

2»

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    davis wrote:
    bobgfish wrote:
    You can upload a course !!! Just it doesn;t have maps. If you go off course it will just tell you which direction to head to get back on course. It does give you a warning and tell you to turn left etc in 2 mins. Suggest you use http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx and try it out. It works well enough for me. The 500 doesn;t work as well off road as on for the routes.

Just had a look at Bike Route Toaster, how do I work it?! So is it possible for me to make up a course and then load it into the 500? The instruction manual makes it sound like you have to have cycled the course 1st and have it saved to the Edge....

HH, read my post about the tcx files...

Thanks everyone for your help.... Have been laying around with the thing and have managed to load it with .tcx routes. Tried navigating with it... So far not that easy! Will try again tomorrow. It definitely gives directions but usually after you've missed the turn and the "map" doesn't seem to orientate itself very quickly once you make a turn...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    HH - I guess it depends on how often you plan on getting out into the countryside and just going where the road takes you. I don't do that very often, so a 500 would be more justifiable than an 800 for my needs.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    cjcp wrote:
    HH - I guess it depends on how often you plan on getting out into the countryside and just going where the road takes you. I don't do that very often, so a 500 would be more justifiable than an 800 for my needs.

Yeah most of my riding (other than the commute) is out in the country. I usually follow others in the club so it's not a problem but sometimes if I'm on my own it would be good to be able to download a route and have the Garmin give directions... Just been out on a 50 mile club ride with it and will download the results... Later might try doing a .tcx route again... I'll let you know how I get on, you still possibly interested in it if it doesn't suit me?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:

Yeah most of my riding (other than the commute) is out in the country. I usually follow others in the club so it's not a problem but sometimes if I'm on my own it would be good to be able to download a route and have the Garmin give directions... Just been out on a 50 mile club ride with it and will download the results... Later might try doing a .tcx route again... I'll let you know how I get on, you still possibly interested in it if it doesn't suit me?

Cool. Yep, still interested. I've got a watch-based HRM, but it was always quite awkward monitoring this when riding.

Was reading about the Bryton and the other devices in C+ yesterday. A couple of them look tempting, but it's the ability to upload it to a website and have the info there in front of you which is appealing.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Basically, the navigation functionality of the Garmin 500 (and Bryton 35 equivalent) gives you a breadcrumb trail to follow and waypoint direction and distance information.

So, you plot a route just as you would with eg an 800 (being careful where you put waypoints (eg just before junctions so the direction arrow changes abruptly to the direction of the next waypoint while you still have a chance to find the right lane!) and follow the trail. The main difference is if you come to a slightly ambiguous junction, it will be more obvious on a unit with maps.

Basically, if you are doing day routes and tend to stick with what you have planned, units like the 500 are perfectly adequate. You only really need maps if you are making things up as you go along or won't be able to get to a computer to plan a route in the evening for the following day. So, maps for touring, 500, Bryton 35 type object for everything else!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Headhuunter
    Rolf F wrote:
    Basically, the navigation functionality of the Garmin 500 (and Bryton 35 equivalent) gives you a breadcrumb trail to follow and waypoint direction and distance information.

So, you plot a route just as you would with eg an 800 (being careful where you put waypoints (eg just before junctions so the direction arrow changes abruptly to the direction of the next waypoint while you still have a chance to find the right lane!) and follow the trail. The main difference is if you come to a slightly ambiguous junction, it will be more obvious on a unit with maps.

Basically, if you are doing day routes and tend to stick with what you have planned, units like the 500 are perfectly adequate. You only really need maps if you are making things up as you go along or won't be able to get to a computer to plan a route in the evening for the following day. So, maps for touring, 500, Bryton 35 type object for everything else!

Thanks Rolf. Most of my rides are just 3-4 hour rides into Kent and back. I didn't get the chance to try it out navigating a route again today. One thing I noticed yesterday is that it didn't give directions "Turn Right", "Straight On" etc until after I had already passed the turn! You mention ading "waypoints"... What are these and how do you add them to a route on something like Bikeroutetoaster?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    If i'm not mistaken (I do have one) It won't actually give directions because it only does courses not routes. It just gives you a line to follow. It is very easy to go wrong at junctions and roundabouts.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Headhuunter
    antfly wrote:
    If i'm not mistaken (I do have one) It won't actually give directions because it only does courses not routes. It just gives you a line to follow. It is very easy to go wrong at junctions and roundabouts.

When I did a route round my local area on Bike Route Toaster it did give directions some of the time, there was an audible bleep and "turn right" etc popped up on the screen, but this was usually after I'd already turned (because I knew the way anyway)!

Also see this page here....

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Edge500_OwnersManual.pdf

It shows what seems to be directions on a grid on one of the screens... When I went out on Sat I could see the grid but there was nothing written in it.... There must be some way to get that to work? Anyone used that?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    antfly wrote:

When I did a route round my local area on Bike Route Toaster it did give directions some of the time, there was an audible bleep and "turn right" etc popped up on the screen, but this was usually after I'd already turned (because I knew the way anyway)!

Is that because the route exported from Bike Route Toaster was annotated with directions? I'm pretty sure its that one or a different site that will do that. Its actually quite annoying on a Garmin 800 because the computer is adding its own directions too, so having both come up at inopportune times can be confusing.
  • Headhuunter
    notsoblue wrote:
    antfly wrote:

Is that because the route exported from Bike Route Toaster was annotated with directions? I'm pretty sure its that one or a different site that will do that. Its actually quite annoying on a Garmin 800 because the computer is adding its own directions too, so having both come up at inopportune times can be confusing.

Bike Route Toaster seems to give you the choice of using Track Points or Course Points, it wouldn't load into the 500 when I used Track Points, so I did it with Course... Not sure what the difference between a track and course points are. On the summary page there is an option to "add course warning points" before you download the route to the 500 and you can define a distance before the turn.... I tried doing that but it didn't seem to work. I might try it again this evening, have another fiddle....
  • antfly
    antfly wrote:

Also see this page here....

It shows what seems to be directions on a grid on one of the screens... When I went out on Sat I could see the grid but there was nothing written in it.... There must be some way to get that to work? Anyone used that?

I think, perhaps, if you have that page displayed on the 500 those directions are telling you how far to and what your next turn is, that's why it gives you directions after each turn.
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    I drew out a course on my 500 the other night and did it yesterday. It gave me the correct turns to take at junctions and after how long. e.g turn left in 1km.

Got me round a 107 mile route no problem.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Other than not being touchscreen and being significantly cheaper, is there much difference between the Garmin Edge 705 and the Garmin 800?
  • Headhuunter
    slunker wrote:
    I drew out a course on my 500 the other night and did it yesterday. It gave me the correct turns to take at junctions and after how long. e.g turn left in 1km.

Excellent, that's exactly what I want, if I can get that I don't need full 800 style maps.... So how did you do it? Did you use Bike Route Toaster? How did you get it to warn yuo before turns? Did you get the page which outlines the turns on a grid, see this link...

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited August 2011
    The 500 sounds a bit like some of the older Garmins where you just had a line. IIRC you should be able to get it to beep before turns come up. I've owned the 305, 705 and now the 800 and have to say that the proper mapping options on the 705/800 are brilliant.

I lost my 705 last week and took delivery of an 800 on Friday. Only 2 rides with it so far but it does seem better than the 705. Screen is better/clearer and you can have multiple data screens which are easy to swipe between on the fly. I am concerned as to how well the screen will respond with full-finger gloves in the winter though.

So on balance the 800 is to be recommended, but if you want to save a little bit of cash, the 705 is excellent. Alternatively feel free to trawl between Lambeth Bridge and Battersea Dogs home as mine popped off the bike somewhere between the 2.

Oh and 1 final thing, the mounting system for the 500/800 is MILES better than the 305/705 which is shite and caused me to lose a 305 and my 705. Expensive and very, very annoying.

HH - send the 500 back and get the 800. If you're doing 3/4 hour rides in the countryside it is the better option by miles. Remember it can also guide you home if you need to cut the route short for whatever reason. Useful to save your 'Home' address as a favourite location - speeds up the process.
  • Headhuunter
    Gussio wrote:
    Other than not being touchscreen and being significantly cheaper, is there much difference between the Garmin Edge 705 and the Garmin 800?

The 705 and the 800 have full colour screen and maps. The 500 is an upgrade of the 305 or 605 which is monochrome.... I've learned so much over the past few days!
  • Headhuunter
    The 500 sounds a bit like some of the older Garmins where you just had a line. IIRC you should be able to get it to beep before turns come up. I've owned the 305, 705 and now the 800 and have to say that the proper mapping options on the 705/800 are brilliant.

I lost my 705 last week and took delivery of an 800 on Friday. Only 2 rides with it so far but it does seem better than the 705. Screen is better/clearer and you can have multiple data screens which are easy to swipe between on the fly. I am concerned as to how well the screen will respond with full-finger gloves in the winter though.

So on balance the 800 is to be recommended, but if you want to save a little bit of cash, the 705 is excellent. Alternatively feel free to trawl between Lambeth Bridge and Battersea Dogs home as mine popped off the bike somewhere between the 2.

Oh and 1 final thing, the mounting system for the 500/800 is MILES better than the 305/705 which is shite and caused me to lose a 305 and my 705. Expensive and very, very annoying.

HH - send the 500 back and get the 800. If you're doing 3/4 hour rides in the countryside it is the better option by miles. Remember it can also guide you home if you need to cut the route short for whatever reason. Useful to save your 'Home' address as a favourite location - speeds up the process.

Yeah, the 800 does sound very good... I just don't need full maps very often really. Usually I'm riding with the club so I'm just following the wheel in front, it's only now and then that I go out on my own, or perhaps I might be heading across to visit someone on the other side of London or something...
  • notsoblue
    I am concerned as to how well the screen will respond with full-finger gloves in the winter though.

Works surprisingly well, I never had a problem with this.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I thought that I'd mention a few GPS tips having read some of the posts above, and because I've been going through this pain over the last few weeks. bear in mind that units do differ.

The main thing I found is that they aren't like using a TomTom in the car and this leads to disappointment or problems. This is because cyclists usually don't want the unit to work out a route for you using it's own logic, but instead they want the device to simply follow a route loaded into it verbatim. However GPS units cannot do this as they calculate the route again each time you open a route file and there is a high chance they'll use a road you didn't want.

if you want the unit to follow your trail then put in waypoints. The more waypoints you put in then the more this 'forces' the unit to use the turns you want. If you need lots of waypoints then your GPS will not have enough capacity so split the route up.

As your unit will probably display the name of the next waypoint on screen then label some of them with navigation hints e.g L-TL-A308 means go left at traffic lights onto A308. Then place these at critical points along the route so they'll flash up on screen.

Programs I found useful are mapsource (for editing routes on the PC, a pig to learn) and wingdb for converting routes and tracks (free).

PS tracks are what you have travelled, and routes are a plan for what you would like to travel. Wingdb can convert between them.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    PS I forgot to mention that I have an older Garmin and the maps were really bad, and silly money. Openstreetmap is an open source project that create free maps and I have found them very good for a lot of areas. Do check them first before going on a ride and finding out they don't have what you need.

This chaps converts these maps into the format that you can load into a Garmin so you don't have to go through the pain:

http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm#GPSRs-Only
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    This is essentially the only reason I'd need an 800. And I cant justify spending that much money for those few occasions.

Plus not knowing how to cut a ride short means I'm forced to follow take the route I planned which I always manage even though I always feel I wont be able to.
  • antfly
    The 800 is like having a car GPS on your bike, it's well worth the extra hundred quid.
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    slunker wrote:

Excellent, that's exactly what I want, if I can get that I don't need full 800 style maps.... So how did you do it? Did you use Bike Route Toaster? How did you get it to warn yuo before turns? Did you get the page which outlines the turns on a grid, see this link...

HH

I have used the 305 and now the 500 exactly like this for nearly 4 years now with almost no problems. You have to invest a bit of time ahead of a ride in planning and prepping a route, but once out there I have never got completely lost (plus I generally have my iphone in my back pocket if I really need the maps)

This is my "process", but you can follow something similar in other programs/sites (like bikeroutetoaster, etc):

1. Open BikeHike
    2. Go to Course Creator
    Either:
    a) Upload a previous ride from Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Centre
    b) Upload a GPX file of a route from somewhere (previously planned, sportive website, etc)
    c) plot a route from scratch
    3. Click "Add POI/Coursepoint" and retrace the route adding the "instructions" where needed (junctions, warnings, water stops, etc) - you can get it to do this automatically as you plot a new route (see "Options"), but it is not always reliable and sometimes misses turns
    4. Plug Edge 500 into PC
    5. Click Download route:
    a) file type should be TCX
    b) give it a name
    c) input an average speed (used to calculate time to next instruction/time to end)
    d) set coursepoint warning (this is the distance before the junction/instruction that the GPS will beep as a warning - I normally use 250-300ft)
    e) Download to GPS
    6. Unplug GPS
    7. Start GPS & navigate to training menu
    8. Find named course in "Courses" and select "Do Course"

Then as I go, I can have the breadcrumb trail which shows directional arrows or exclamation marks at all the locations where I added coursepoints/instructions and the unit will bleep 250-300ft before each coursepoint and when/if I go off course

It will also beep and flash up the instruction even if I am on one of the standard screens.

You also get 2 other screens on the 500 showing an elevation view of your course (so you can see when that nasty hill is approaching) and a list of the coursepoint instructions if you want to follow it that way

It is not perfect, but I have used it to navigate through thousands of miles in the UK and Europe with very very few problems.

I prefer bikehike vs mapmyride/BRT, etc as it generally uses more waypoints to create the underlying breadcrumb trail (so you get a better base "course") and you have full control over the coursepoints and the coursepoint warning distance

The 500 has not been quite as reliable as the old 305 with this process, but that is a firmware issue with the 500 rather than anything else as the route and instructions are all there.

That said, the 305 had a limit of 100 coursepoints which was a real pain for longer routes, but the 500 doesn't have this limit, so you can load it up with plenty of instructions

Obviously the whole logging and downloading after a ride is just as you would expect and is not affected by any of this. I also tend to keep a saved version of the TCX file on my PC so that I have the coursepoints for the next time I want to do the route as they will not be downloaded to Garmin Training Centre/Connect with your ride file.

I agree with you that the Garmin literature around this is absolutely appalling, but that said, it is a great device that is tiny, lightweight, relatively cheap and its navigation capabilities are seriously misunderstood and misrepresented.

Hope that helps
    M
  • Headhuunter
    markshaw77 wrote:
    slunker wrote:

HH

I have used the 305 and now the 500 exactly like this for nearly 4 years now with almost no problems. You have to invest a bit of time ahead of a ride in planning and prepping a route, but once out there I have never got completely lost (plus I generally have my iphone in my back pocket if I really need the maps)

This is my "process", but you can follow something similar in other programs/sites (like bikeroutetoaster, etc):

1. Open BikeHike
    2. Go to Course Creator
    Either:
    a) Upload a previous ride from Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Centre
    b) Upload a GPX file of a route from somewhere (previously planned, sportive website, etc)
    c) plot a route from scratch
    3. Click "Add POI/Coursepoint" and retrace the route adding the "instructions" where needed (junctions, warnings, water stops, etc) - you can get it to do this automatically as you plot a new route (see "Options"), but it is not always reliable and sometimes misses turns
    4. Plug Edge 500 into PC
    5. Click Download route:
    a) file type should be TCX
    b) give it a name
    c) input an average speed (used to calculate time to next instruction/time to end)
    d) set coursepoint warning (this is the distance before the junction/instruction that the GPS will beep as a warning - I normally use 250-300ft)
    e) Download to GPS
    6. Unplug GPS
    7. Start GPS & navigate to training menu
    8. Find named course in "Courses" and select "Do Course"

Then as I go, I can have the breadcrumb trail which shows directional arrows or exclamation marks at all the locations where I added coursepoints/instructions and the unit will bleep 250-300ft before each coursepoint and when/if I go off course

It will also beep and flash up the instruction even if I am on one of the standard screens.

You also get 2 other screens on the 500 showing an elevation view of your course (so you can see when that nasty hill is approaching) and a list of the coursepoint instructions if you want to follow it that way

It is not perfect, but I have used it to navigate through thousands of miles in the UK and Europe with very very few problems.

I prefer bikehike vs mapmyride/BRT, etc as it generally uses more waypoints to create the underlying breadcrumb trail (so you get a better base "course") and you have full control over the coursepoints and the coursepoint warning distance

The 500 has not been quite as reliable as the old 305 with this process, but that is a firmware issue with the 500 rather than anything else as the route and instructions are all there.

That said, the 305 had a limit of 100 coursepoints which was a real pain for longer routes, but the 500 doesn't have this limit, so you can load it up with plenty of instructions

Obviously the whole logging and downloading after a ride is just as you would expect and is not affected by any of this. I also tend to keep a saved version of the TCX file on my PC so that I have the coursepoints for the next time I want to do the route as they will not be downloaded to Garmin Training Centre/Connect with your ride file.

I agree with you that the Garmin literature around this is absolutely appalling, but that said, it is a great device that is tiny, lightweight, relatively cheap and its navigation capabilities are seriously misunderstood and misrepresented.

Hope that helps
    M

Excellent thanks.... Will give this a go... PLease stand by for stupid questions when it goes wrong :wink:
  • I favourited a Youtube video as part of my own shopping research to see what I might get. Maybe it will help someone else:
    http://youtu.be/ZiTloso0Gl0
  • I love my 605 (705 without the HR). Really want an 800 but I can't see myself gaining much. Does anyone have experience of both, is the procesing power quicker (on the 605 when I make a turn on the mapping the screen takes a couple of seconds to rotate pointing north again).

Used it yesterday, wanted to do a 60 miler. Using BikeHike I clicked along all the country lanes heading towards and returning from an area I wanted to head for, loaded it into the Garmin and off I went. 100% accurate and took me on a route that I would never have found had I not had the unit - beautiful day.
  • notsoblue
    antfly wrote:
    The 800 is like having a car GPS on your bike, it's well worth the extra hundred quid.
    Can't you just get David Starkey to navigate for you from the rear seat of your tandem?
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    markshaw77 wrote:
    slunker wrote:

HH

Excellent thanks.... Will give this a go... PLease stand by for stupid questions when it goes wrong :wink:

No worries - drop me a PM if you get stuck as I don't often get much time to check the boards