Moab, Utah. 4 days...which trails?

bikedibley
bikedibley Posts: 40
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Hi all

I'm in the US for two weeks in September, starting with a week in Santa Barbara. Will ride local trails before driving 13 hours cross country to Moab in Utah. Then returning to Vegas in time for Interbike and some Red Rock trails.

I'll arrive in Moab on the Sunday 11th about midday feeling pretty tired out from the drive. I've been there before, but only for a day and a half so intend to do ride the Slickrock trail in both directions that first afternoon as I know you can ride that whole trail in around 45 mins.

Questions:
That leaves me three more full days. There are lots of trails. Who's been? What trails to you advise I ride to fill my time? I am technically very good and am fit enough to ride at a good cadence all day long.
I intend to ride UP and then DOWN porcupine rim one day. Is the climb silly or realistic? I know Rim Tours drive you to the top and say it's a long drive. So is it silly to attempt climbing the trail? I once spend 50 minutes climbing the trail from the river, before returning down the trail. This was all part of a rushed visit.

So, in essence, I have 3 full days to fill in Moab. I'd suggest two average trails/rides per day or one epic ride per day. Can somebody suggest an itinerary?

Comments

• Favourite options so far are:

Half day 1. -
    Slickrock trail one direction
    Slickrock the other direction

Monday full day
    Porcupine Rim Climb and return descent

Tuesday full day
    Poison Spider Mesa to Portal Trail descent - Morning
    Pothole Arch & Rockstacker - Afternoon

Am I trying to fit too much into a day?
    Wednesday still to fill.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Make the most of it! No point in coming back wishing you'd done more. I can't advise on trails, but Utah does look awesome for riding!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do the whole enchilada, incorporates all the best famous trails. 27miles in total.
  • Do the whole enchilada, incorporates all the best famous trails. 27miles in total.

Cheers Lenny. Good advice. I saw that trail on Singletracks but didn't realise it encaptures most trails in one. Clearly a winner for day...3.
  • Anonymous
    bikedibley wrote:
    Do the whole enchilada, incorporates all the best famous trails. 27miles in total.

Cheers Lenny. Good advice. I saw that trail on Singletracks but didn't realise it encaptures most trails in one. Clearly a winner for day...3.

Go to the stores. The two best are Chille Pepper Bikes & Poision spider cycles. They give good honest advice. When I went last October I was fairly new to it all the advised on what to do see, Unfortunatley I didnt do the whole enchilada as only had one day cycling as other was white water rafting down the colorado river, a must do! I just did:

1st. Bar M loop, very easy but was good for scenery and to get going after a very heavy night drinking.

2nd. Poison spider trail. Absolute solid. Like trying to cycle up large steps and constantly pulling over for 4x4's and motorbikes, ATV'S etc. Gave in once climbed to the top and headed to...

3rd. Slick Rock mountain... Seriously the most fun I have ever had on a MTB. Views and trail is just epic.

I have booked a whole week there next year instead of 3 days so I am going to do them all. The whole enchilada being the one I want most.

Are you hiring a bike or taking one? If you hiring one go to one of them two shops. Cost me and a friend 150 bucks, 100 quid for a top end Yeti and a Trek fuel ex9 for the day. The yeti was awesome. Wish I could justify spending that much money on one.

Since Moab Im back into MTB's proper style!!!

Have fun, im sure you will!!
  • Awesome, thanks Lenny.

It sounds like you had an epic time. Like you, last time I went, I only got a day or so's riding in. Did Sovereign trail, slickrock and then the bottom section of porcupine.

I've been reading up on the Whole Enchelada and it seems like a brilliant all day ride. One guy says it's a 5 hour ride. One says it's 8 hours. Either way, I thinnk I'm going to do that on my first full day. Great suggestion and it takes in the best bits like you say.

So, first day is Slickrock in both directions. Second day, Whole Enchelada and if enough energy left, maybe Slickrock again in the arvo.

Still leaves me a day and a half to fill.
  • Plod
    Plod Posts: 42
    I can't advise on trails but sugest reading between a rock and a hard place or at least watching 127 hours. True story set near Moab.
  • Anonymous
    Plenty to do in Moab in a day and a half. Me and my friend walked up to Corona Arch, what a walk that was. We did some ropeless climbing like idiots. Something I wouldnt of done after watching 127 hours. Well worth a watch like Plod says.
  • 127 hours....argh. Everybody is telling me to watch that movie. Even my Dad sent me a specific email to ensure i watch it. Perhaps a message, not to go out riding alone, or at least without telling somebody where I am.

Thanks for your help peeps.
  • If you really wana pack in the riding:
    Take shuttle from poision spider to Kokodown/porcupine trail head and let rip, u can comfortably decend to the Colorado river in 1hr half even with the obligatory photo stop. then after a fuel up in town you could hit Slickrock same day though 45min is hugely ambitous dude, and can get really hot cuz the rock reflects heat.
    Not done whole enchilada. But there is some incredible Singletrack in La Sal mountains which doesn't get a whole lot of attention but which i thought was better than anything else! Though had a close encounter with a Big Ass Bear!
    Soverign Trails gr8 lil playground best as an evening circuit of 1-2hrs.
    is you can bare another drive Fruita bout 90mins away and is just brilliant hit 18rd and Marys Loop Area.
    Finally not sure which route ur taking but you could break up the journey with a days riding at either Flagstaff Arizona or the riding east of Vegas.
    mountainbikebill.com and http://mountainbikemayhem.com/ has some gr8 pics for inspiraion!
    Enjoy
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....
  • CFS
    CFS Posts: 124
    If you are headed back to Vegas going past Bryce Canyon then I can recommend nearby Thunder Mountain. Good trail and the Landscape is amazing.
    Shot by both sides...