Evans gets it right.

OffTheBackAdam
OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
edited August 2011 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hushovd ... -de-france
No dividing the team's efforts, they'll all be working for him.
Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Any word from Thor on that...

He had one of the rides in the tour this year, fair enough that Evans would want him on the Tour team, but wouldn't it be better for Thor to get on a different team from Thors POV?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's 'getting it right' if the main man delivers the results, but if he doesn't then it looks like a stupid strategy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    It's 'getting it right' if the main man delivers the results, but if he doesn't then it looks like a stupid strategy.

Have to agree.
    In which case: 'Evans Gets it All' might be a more appropriate thread title.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Can't see this coming as a suprise to Thor. There must be an agreement for Evans to support Thor in other races.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Can't see this happening...
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    @CadelOfficial Checking the news..... I so want Thor #godofthunder on our Tour team next year.... Why do people say otherwise?

So there.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hushovd doesn't need a team to deliver in the Tour.

He's been successful enough at Credit Agricole with minmal help.

His first win in this year's Tour (which was a phenomenal bit of riding) was a one man effort.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It'd be a big loss to the tour if he wasn't there.
    Also, assuming there's a TTT, I'd think Evans would want Thors big engine contributing.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    It's nearly a year away, a lot can change before then.
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    Evans will not win the tour again.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Remind me, how much dedicated "support" did Thor get this year?

He's not going to compete for sprints, so BMC aren't going to dedicate riders to providing a lead out. But he's still going to be there to try for tougher stages etc. The same as this year. Except he won't need to lead out Farrar.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    domhopson wrote:

This brings back many memories of many posters' attitudes in June '11.

Albeit without the 'again'.

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    iainf72 wrote:

He's not going to compete for sprints, so BMC aren't going to dedicate riders to providing a lead out. But he's still going to be there to try for tougher stages etc. The same as this year. Except he won't need to lead out Farrar.

+1. Evans will be happy with 7 domestiques., especially as the way they're recruiting, they'll be better than this year's.

He'd be a lot more upset if Pip was riding the Tour for BMC I suggest.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Add Gilbert to the mix?
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vasseur ... or-gilbert
    Hushovd maybe happy just being allowed to get into a break & get a stage or two, as he's done this year & last, but one would expect Gilbert to be targetting the Green Jersey.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,794
    iainf72 wrote:

ryder for the stage and he was carried for the yellow a fair bit

you could argue ryder was somewhat marginal and yes he can achieve with solo efforts but

he was supported
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • calvjones wrote:
    Evans will be happy with 7 domestiques., especially as the way they're recruiting, they'll be better than this year's.

But if you were in Cadel's position, wouldn't you prefer 8?
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Imagine having Thor and Hincapie (if he's still around) as domestiques. That would strike fear into many a team. If Thor is willing to work for Cadel, that is.
  • calvjones
    neilo23 wrote:
    Imagine having Thor and Hincapie (if he's still around) as domestiques. That would strike fear into many a team. If Thor is willing to work for Cadel, that is.

Thor will be happy to work for Evans if he gets full support for the cobbles I suspect. Poor van Avermaet.

Strava is not Zen.
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    edited August 2011
    calvjones wrote:
    domhopson wrote:

This brings back many memories of many posters' attitudes in June '11.

Albeit without the 'again'.

I was one of those posters back in June. Maybe I'll bring him luck again :)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,461
    domhopson wrote:

I was one of those posters back in June. Maybe I'm bring him luck :)

Didn't you also say Hushovd wouldn't win a stage?

Can you start telling me in advance who isn't going to win a major race so I can get down the bookies and place my bets? :wink:
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Thor has gone to BMC?! WTF?! Why?! :shock:
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Good money, good team?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • RichN95.
    Thor has gone to BMC?! WTF?! Why?! :shock:

Why not? They got some good classics guys there already, and that's what he's most interested in.
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:
    Why not? They got some good classics guys there already, and that's what he's most interested in.

Oh really? And when did BMC last win any of the Classics? Cervelo won PR this year and have a strong team - he should have stayed where he was IMHO.

I (personally - my opinion) think BMC is a bad move.
  • RichN95.
    Oh really? And when did BMC last win any of the Classics? Cervelo won PR this year and have a strong team - he should have stayed where he was IMHO.

I (personally - my opinion) think BMC is a bad move.

BMC have only been a top team for two years. He doesn't want to join a team that's won a classic - just one that has a lot of good riders in classics.
    I assume you must have missed BMC chasing down Cancellara in RvV. You must have overlooked the likes of Ballan, Hincapie, Burghardt, van Avermaet.

What team do you think he should join that would be better?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Let's also not forget Thor is unhappy at Garvelo. His comment about moving to BMC doesn't paint Gervelo in a great light

"It's a serious team where it looks like everything is well-organized,"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    Let's also not forget Thor is unhappy at Garvelo. His comment about moving to BMC doesn't paint Gervelo in a great light

"It's a serious team where it looks like everything is well-organized,"

Anybody who watched the "Beyond The Peloton" films about Garmin Cervelo could tell that their classics team at least was not a happy place to be. I think the camera's were trying to capture a tense pre race team meeting, but instead they just looked like a bunch of guys who didn't really want to be in the same room. The win at Paris Roubaix was an incredible ride from Van Summeren, but had very little to do with Garmin's strength or tactical ability as a team.

The history of sport is littered with teams that looked good on paper, but if they can't get along and support each other then they won't get anywhere.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • TMR
    RichN95 wrote:
    I assume you must have missed BMC chasing down Cancellara in RvV. You must have overlooked the likes of Ballan, Hincapie, Burghardt, van Avermaet.

That's unfair. George Hincapie is my favourite rider of all time, I never overlook him. My comment was asking what they'd won, not what good moves they'd made in whatever race.
    What team do you think he should join that would be better?

Honestly? I think he should have stayed where he was. I'd really like to know what the impetus was for the move.