Thule Freeride 530/Halfords advanced roof rack and carbon?

leaflite
leaflite Posts: 1,651
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Not sure if this has been asked before, but Ive just built up my first carbon bike (titus ftm carbon) and Im planning for taking it to the local trails at the weekend. I have a halfords advanced roof rack, which is apparently identical to the thule freeride 530. Is this roof rack safe for carbon frames, or will it crush the downtube or something?

Thanks

Comments

• davenice
    davenice Posts: 72
    I have a roof carrier and the downtube clamp needs to be snug. Just snug, not vice-like. If you are even considering tightening it to a point where you are concerned about squashing your carbon frame, YOU'RE DOING IT TOO TIGHT! :-)

The bike's made of carbon, not cardboard! Just clamp the clamp tight enough to hold the bike still and secure. I clamp the wheels down tight and the downtube clamp mainly just holds mine upright and stops it wobbling.

Dave
  • davenice
    davenice Posts: 72
    I stand corrected here having googled - it sounds like a number of roof carriers do recommend against use with carbon bikes.

Having said that, if it was my bike (if only I had a nice carbon bike !), I'd be doing it. I don't do my clamp up ridiculously tight and the bike is still nice and secure.

Pretty sure the disclaimers are to prevent people ratcheting them up massively tight and then complaining. Because yours has a quick-release style clamp, you'll need to start with it quite loose and tighten it in stages until you get just enough snugness.

Dave
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    As Dave said, due to the two arms being upright the bike just nestles between the two and as long as it's not gonna jump out the top due to the curved grippers and the wheel ratchets are tight it should be fine.

Obviously it's all done at your own risk though.
  • A mate of mine carries his carbon triathlon bike on one of those racks without a problem.