What brakes are these? and what pads do i need?

rodz37
rodz37 Posts: 10
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys

Are these brake any good and what pads do i need as they dont feel great.

Any idea on upgrades etc...

imag0076gz.jpg

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    They look like Avid BB5 Mechanical brakes.I'm assuming this as they're
    a.Mechanical
    b.Avid and
    c.Have a 5 on them.
    They're meant to be OK when set-up correctly although I've only ever had Avid hydraulics.The pads are the same (I believe) as Avid Juicy pads.
    Try Superstar for pads but first try cleaning/sanding your pads and setting them up right 8)
    You could upgrade to Avid Juicy5s/7s or Elixers and keep the rotors etc.
  • rodz37
    Thanks man

is it worth upgrading to hydraulic disk brakes?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    It depends on your riding but for trail use I would say yes 8)
    I went straight from V Brakes to Hydros about 8 years ago and the difference is like night and day 8)
    However poorly set up Hydros can be a pain.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i wonder if your cable has slipped through the securing bolt as the furrule used to stop the cable from fraying is very close to the bolt. this wouldnt normally be the case when setting up a brake set in my experience so it might be worth checking to see if they are set up correctly.

has the performance suddenly changed

what exactly are you unhappy about the performance of the brakes and were they previously acceptable?
  • rodz37
    they seem to have dropped of a lot & the feedback is not very good either.
  • sheepsteeth
    is there a lot of lever movement before you get pad contact with the discs?
  • rodz37
    yeah and i have tried to adjust, but still crap even to the point the wheels dont spin to good.
    makes a noise also when braking, high pitch noise.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Mechanicals can be a bit fiddly to set up, go see a local bike shop and ask them to teach you how to do it.

It is entirely poor setup from the sounds of things.
  • sheepsteeth
    it does sound more like set up to be honest.

there are a few things you can do but here is how i would set them up.

1- unbolt the cable clamp on the caliper
    2- wind the cable adjuster all the way back in on the brake lever then back out a full turn.
    3- pull the cable through the cable clamp then firmly tighten the cable clamp (this will reduce the slackness in the lever)
    4- slacken the bolts which hold the caliper to the adapter on the fork.
    5- there should be an adjuster on the back of the caliper, adjust this to close the size of the gap between the pads
    6-apply the brake lever and check that you are happy with the lever travel, if not, adjust the caliper adjuster in or out until it suits your preffered lever feel.
    7- once happy with the lever feel, apply the brake lever then tighten the bolts holding the caliper to the adapter. just nip them up at first.
    8- release the lever and spin the wheel: if done correctly, the wheel should spin freely and the inside pad should lightly touch the disc as it spins. (this is one of the things you have to accept with bb5 as it only allows for the movement of the outside pad and the inside pad is fixed)

you may find you need to repeat steps 5-8 until you are happy. with practice you will need to repeat the steps less and less often.

9- once finally happy, apply the brake firmly and tighten the caliper bolts