FYI ITV4 to show Vuelta a España this year

STEFANOS4784
STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
Just a heads up that we are being treated this year, not just the Tour de France :D

http://road.cc/content/news/40604-itv4- ... test-event

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Cheers for the heads up, Stefano, I'd missed this.

More time off work. Brilliant! :D
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • JLM74
    JLM74 Posts: 108
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Brilliant!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I suspect this has a lot to do with Brad riding but heck, who's complaining.

We are almost duty bound to watch to ensure they generate the viewing figures to keep expanding the coverage.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    morstar wrote:
    I suspect this has a lot to do with Brad riding but heck, who's complaining.

Only partly, I'd say. They got very good ratings for the Tour highlights shows and they've shown the Tour of California (with no Brits) and the Tour Series (with no stars), so they obviously think the numbers add up.

It's got to be more satisfying to them than showing repeats of The Sweeney.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nottscobb
    nottscobb Posts: 147
    Excellent - will keep an eye out so I can put it on series record. I'm sure the wife will be over the moon :twisted:
  • "heads up" :evil: :roll:
  • STEFANOS4784
    "heads up" :evil: :roll:

what does that mean ? Or are ya just a miserable g1t.

Anyhoo. ITV4 16:00 today :D
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Oh dear. Commentary neeeds a bit of improvement imo. Will be watching the rest of the race on Eurosport.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    I watched on both sides alternating when the ad breaks came on. As they use the same live video feed you don;t get any disruption. On issue I saw was the difference in the picture quality put out even though it was clearly taken from the same camera on the same motor bike following the same team in the TT.

Either way I'm happy that ITV are now showing more live and highlights.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • What put me off a little bit was the regular sound drop-outs on the commentary as though the satellite feed from the commentary location was iffy. It was only a second every so often but it was noticeable.

Loved how in the studio they'd all agreed to stick with "Leppard"-Trek but eventually succumbed to the "Layopard"-Trek juggernaut! Oh, I forget, should there be a hyphen or not in Leopard_trek? And what's in capitals? Oh dear, the team will be posting an angry response about getting their name wrong!
    :roll: :lol:

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    we should be thankful that there is any coverage of the spanish tour , and i know that matt rendell writes a good book - but as a talking head i have seen more life in a morticians assistant ! :lol:
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    As a satellite free household we are really enjoying the opportunitiy to watch this race for the first time, and to see some of the young, up and coming riders do their stuff. The less than slick presentation makes you appreciate how much work must go into the broadcasting of the TdF.

I'm enjoying the studio experts - although I have to fight the urge to want to ask Ben Swift if he has done all his holiday homework assignments, before taking him shopping for some new trainers, shoes and school bag for next term.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Crap coverage, but I'm grateful for it.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    GiantMike wrote:
    Crap coverage, but I'm grateful for it.

Agreed...pretty terrible, but better than nothing :)
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Though it could be improved by not having the 'talking heads' yakking in the studio for 30mins before the start of the race coverage and the replacement of the Cadel Evans sound-a-like by Phil and Paul.
  • "heads up" :evil: :roll:

It's just a f*cking terrible phrase from corporate world.

As for the ITV coverage. I can cope with the terrible quality video, the poor commentary etc. as that's not actually ITV. But what's with the dreadful studio backdrop?

Just glad to have some highlights on at a sensible time.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Cressers wrote:
    Though it could be improved by not having the 'talking heads' yakking in the studio for 30mins before the start of the race coverage and the replacement of the Cadel Evans sound-a-like by Phil and Paul.

Indeed - hopefully the yakking won't be every day but I have to admit the thought of 3 weeks of that dreary monotone commentary is depressing me! Not sure who it is because I keep fast forwarding through the endless studio bit. Does anyone who can't stand Phil and Paul think this is better? :lol:

Image colour seems a bit wacky too but it helps keep my mind off the commentary!!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    The image colour may be a result of a lens filter to attenuate the harsh sulinght in Spain.
  • I flicked between ITV4 and Eurosport during the TdF but the Vuelta commentary on ITV4 took me less than 30mins on the first day to find far too grating to listen to for 3 weeks.

Rolf F, Its worse than Phil and Paul, I could stomach them until I thought the ads on Eurosport had finished and I could flick back.
  • STEFANOS4784
    "heads up" :evil: :roll:

It's just a f*cking terrible phrase from corporate world.

As for the ITV coverage. I can cope with the terrible quality video, the poor commentary etc. as that's not actually ITV. But what's with the dreadful studio backdrop?

Just glad to have some highlights on at a sensible time.

as i suspected then ;)

Just managed to finish watching TTT. By the time i finish for the day tbose mono-tone folk send me to sleep within minutes....
  • starting to settle into ITV4 version now

matt and ned a little less stiff...

the aussie guy is a bit pro shack for some reason(?) and irritating but he isn't that bad a explaining race strategy on the fly... the guys accent is getting edited out now so is bearable... could do with a second wheel

away from home so good alternative for me sans eurosport
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Bring back David Duffield this Mick "Dundee" character is sending me off to sleep. How the hell did i manage to watch neighbours ??? (oh yeah forgot that milf (Susan Kennedy) was in it 8)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Is it my imagination or are Matt and Ned gradually getting more airtime in? Surely ITV4 must realise that Crocodull Dreary is painfully bad. It wouldn't be quite so bad if he just had someone else to talk to instead of having to witter on on his own.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I cant do it... i really cant. I

would have watched it on ITV if it wasnt for Croc dundee - i am just glad that Eurosport player charge me £3.99 a month to watch it on my PC!!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    I'm getting used to him (Matt Keenan) now. He sometimes drones on a bit, but he's very good at spotting riders and knowing something to say about them. With accurate commentary the race can provide the entertainment.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    rubertoe wrote:
    I cant do it... i really cant. I

would have watched it on ITV if it wasnt for Croc dundee - i am just glad that Eurosport player charge me £3.99 a month to watch it on my PC!!

+1 It`s Eurosport for me .....(Strewth there`s a bloke down there with no strides on) Mick Dundee would tear the Ar*e out of your trousers. .....Can anyone explain why there is an Aussie (no offence) doing the commentary for a British TV station ? Would even have someone from Bristol doing it .....On second thoughts Nah.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    i presumed they were just buying in the sbs coverage.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    You guys are being a little tough.
    This is the first time ever I have been able to watch the Vuelta, after 20 odd years of Le Tour.

This on the back of Tour de Cal, the City Centre Series, and with The Tour of Britain, to come.

Lighten up.
  • Yep, mightlly impressed with the ITV4 cycling coverage this year. Particularly after there was a campaign to get them to show more. However for me non-one will beat Harmon and Kelly on Eurosport.

Mind you Kirby and Smith are doing a sterling job on the USA pro cycling challenge given the very dodgy live footage that the americans are producing if anyone has ssen that?