Six months for nicking a bottle water

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Judge does seem to have indicated that the sentence was not for stealing water, but for looting.
    The judge said: “The burglary of commercial premises in circumstances such as this where substantial and wholesale public disorder has taken place is in effect what is commonly called looting.”
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I'm sure if had just nicked a bottle of water from a newsagents on a 'normal' day things would have been very different.

But he did much more than just steal a bottle of water. He was part of a riot and he was looting, that was what the sentance was for.

Personally 6 months is not enough, they should make them clean it all up first, then jail them for 6 months, preferably more.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    bobinski wrote:
    Stockwell? not the only example either....

Eh?

you mean this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13612354
    A man has been killed in an apparent ride-by machine gun attack near Stockwell Tube station in south London.

Sadiq Adebiyi, 25, was targeted by two men on a motorbike as he stood on the pavement in Clapham Road on at 2330 BST on Tuesday.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I don't disagree that the looting/rioting means he should get a stricter sentence....but six months is idiotic. 100 hours community service would have been more beneficial for everyone.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Sewinman wrote:

What has any of that got to do with this bloke?

Small cog in the machine maybe, i'd still happily see every one arrested burned at the stake.

Jx
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited August 2011
    Trouble is the number of "looters" saying openly on TV that they thought nothing would happen to them, one from Manchester saying "It's my first offence, what am I going to get, a ASBO? I can live with that". I also heared others saying they were too young to be put away, or the prisons are full. What's more many would have thought they would get away with it as everyone else was doing it. These tough sentances are needed so both the people caught and thier friend who maybe didn't get cuagt can clearly see there are consequences to looting.

I welcome this level of harsh sentancing, I just hope it hold through to crown court and surrives any appeals.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    Sewinman wrote:
    I don't disagree that the looting/rioting means he should get a stricter sentence....but six months is idiotic. 100 hours community service would have been more beneficial for everyone.

Would it make a difference if he had stolen a telly?
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Sewinman wrote:

But where would you draw the line? And why? On the basis that it was "only" water? Because really this thread should read "Six months for rioting and looting". The value of the items is largely immaterial - it is the circumstances of rioting and looting that really determine the sentence.

Unless you'd suggest 100 hours of community service for all of them? I don't think even you could really think that would be reasonable.

It is a sentence for the damage done by the group, not by the individual. And on that basis it really isn't excessive at all.
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

But where would you draw the line? And why? On the basis that it was "only" water? Because really this thread should read "Six months for rioting and looting". The value of the items is largely immaterial - it is the circumstances of rioting and looting that really determine the sentence.

Unless you'd suggest 100 hours of community service for all of them? I don't think even you could really think that would be reasonable.

It is a sentence for the damage done by the group, not by the individual. And on that basis it really isn't excessive at all.

This is my point. Is there a sliding scale of value? 100 hours community service for £3.50 of water, 105 hours if you nick a Yorkie as well?
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Sketchley wrote:
    I welcome this level of harsh sentancing, I just hope it hold through to crown court and surrives any appeals.

This won't get through to the crown court - it's been dealt with at the magistrates already (albeit at their maximum sentencing powers). Most of the others are being "sent up" to the Crown Court, which means a likely sentence of 6 months +.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Custodial sentence - wipe the grins off their faces

Its not the bottle of water - its the context behind it
  • sketchley
    W1 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

This won't get through to the crown court - it's been dealt with at the magistrates already (albeit at their maximum sentencing powers). Most of the others are being "sent up" to the Crown Court, which means a likely sentence of 6 months +.

Sorry should of been clearer. I was refering to the case that are being sent to crown court not this one specifically. I hope the crown court take the same view as the lower courts are and do impose 6 month+ and that they are not reduced on appeal.
    --
    Chris

• bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Greg T wrote:
    bobinski wrote:
    Stockwell? not the only example either....

Eh?

you mean this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13612354
    A man has been killed in an apparent ride-by machine gun attack near Stockwell Tube station in south London.

Sadiq Adebiyi, 25, was targeted by two men on a motorbike as he stood on the pavement in Clapham Road on at 2330 BST on Tuesday.

No, this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_J ... de_Menezes

irrelevent to the issue of sentencing here of course.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Why does the UK imprison more of its population that the rest of its western European counterparts?

Why does the UK have the highest rape rates in Western Europe?

Why does the UK have the highest number of single mothers and teenage pregnancies in Europe?

Why does the UK have the highest level of knife crime in Western Europe?

It's clearly not to do with the punishment is it?
  • Sewinman
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

I think the value of the items has some relevance, if it does not and six months is the maximum then I am off out to nick a million quid!

It is up to the judge to draw the line, hence not having fixed sentences. This sentence seems ridiculous to me - he is being punished for the action of others in order to placate the baying for blood from the DM brigade.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    Why does the UK imprison more of its population that the rest of its western European counterparts?

Why does the UK have the highest number of single mothers and teenage pregnancies in Europe?

Too many English?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm not convinced these people deserve the harsh sentences. But they're clearly being made an example of. It would appear that the magistrates think this is the best way of preventing this kind of event from happening again. They're probably right. This is very very unfortunate for those who got caught up in the mob mentality though. Chances are they'd never commit the same crimes in "normal" circumstances. But thats life :?

Its pretty ugly to be dancing around in glee at other's misfortune though. It looks like they're paying a hefty price, personally I'd just leave it at that.
  • mcj78

Maybe the punishment is too lenient & doesn't deter people, maybe prison for the institutionalized is like a holiday camp, maybe we should reform the judicial system & go all corporal punishment & hard labour on their asses?
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Water water everywhere, and not a drop to loot.

Sorry, that barely works.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • notsoblue
    edited August 2011

This guy understands:

"If anyone thinks that criminal justice measures alone will halt the violence on our streets, they don't understand the scale and the nature of the social breakdown that is its cause.That is why we have to be utterly uncompromising on the key social reforms that will together help us repair our broken society."
    David Cameron in 2008
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Who gives a hoot whether 6 months is "fair". Pretty sure the chap wasn't in Lidl just to nick a bottle of water. If he was then fair play to the judge for removing another idiot from the street.

I have no sympathy for any of those arrested, charged and found guilty of offences. They made a choice, they can live with the consequences.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    If prisons work, why are they full?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • notsoblue

Because of this, clearly:
    mcj78 wrote:
    Maybe the punishment is too lenient & doesn't deter people, maybe prison for the institutionalized is like a holiday camp, maybe we should reform the judicial system & go all corporal punishment & hard labour on their asses?

;)
  • Sewinman
    Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you king.

Bob Dylan.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

Maybe they like it?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • mcj78
    Sewinman wrote:
    It is up to the judge to draw the line, hence not having fixed sentences. This sentence seems ridiculous to me - he is being punished for the action of others in order to placate the baying for blood from the DM brigade.

Yep, and the judge saw fit to hand down 6 months in this case - is he pandering to the DM brigade too? I'm usually verrrrrry liberal, but things have gotten too far out of hand & a line in the sand has to be drawn. Not just on this issue either...
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sewinman wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    You have all gone bonkers.

5 men dead, tens of buildings burned down, millions of pounds of damage, Britain's reputation dragged through the dirt and you say WE are bonkers??

EDIT 6 if you include Duggan.

What has any of that got to do with this bloke?

He was part of the problem, big sentences are part of the solution. If he'd done a murder or arson he'd have got a lot more.

Hopefully some other thugs will look at this judgement and think twice about going out on the riot next time.

FFS.

Despite his background we do not as yet know what Duggan was shot and killed for. Fall all we know his killing may prove unlawful on the police's part.

That said:

6 months is wholly disproportionate for his offence. Whatever the circumstances. You dont throw aside sentencing guidelines and commonsense just to ausage understandable public rage.

Perhaps a community order with a work requirement to go and clear up the bloody mess he and the others created might have been a better idea.
    Don't get me wrong. Sentences should be handed out to reflect the disorder especially for those that used or threatened violence, committed damage or arson or engaged in wholesale looting of high value goods. But 6 months for this. Ridiculous. Reflect too on what it will cost us to keep him locked up for 3 months.

I agree but i think a community order is too lenient.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    ]
    Ok fair point.

What should happen to looters then?
    --
    Chris

• notsoblue
    mcj78 wrote:
    I'm usually verrrrrry liberal
    Source?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Sewinman wrote:
    He was part of a group behaving in a way that has terrorised the public, wrecked businesses, wrecked homes and wrecked lives (some literally), and has cost the country millions, condemned individuals to homelessness, its not about was was taken, it is the behaviour he was engaged in: looting. 6 months is fine.