Any Whisky Connoisseurs in our mist

124»

Comments

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Anyone tried Yamazaki single malt from Japan?

I am intrigued but always go for a safer bet when buying.

it's really smooth, same with other Suntory malts.

Very good quality malt: you won't be disappointed.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Alan A wrote:

bigpeat_70cl.JPG

Oooh dear. I don't like that 'real ale' style of label design. Nope.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I dunno if it has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread (I don't much care for whisky - though the threads where people show off their whisky prowess make me smirk - there's nothing quite like it: even coffee can't compete) but, if you want to learn about whisky, how it's made, the different types etc etc "Raw Spirit" by Iain Banks is a very good read - a sort of autobiography, tour of Scotland and whisky book rolled up into a funny read. He finally concludes that Highland Park is the best of the run-of-the-mill whiskies with Glenfiddich "Havana Reserve" (which I'm not certain you can still get - maybe been renamed to suit Americans) as the finest dram.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    Peat wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

bigpeat_70cl.JPG

Oooh dear. I don't like that 'real ale' style of label design. Nope.

That's just a rubbish design. a decent ale would be embarrassed by it too.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Highland Park is the best of the run-of-the-mill whiskies

Ah, interesting. The 'London Pride' of the Whisky world then? (pride is always my 'safety pint')

With regards to Big Peat et al, i find that the peaty Ilsay's are just a bit of a cock-measuring exercise in how smokey you can go. A bit like some dark stouts. Almost undrinkable. 10yr old Laphroig is about as far as i can go.
  • Peat wrote:
    Highland Park is the best of the run-of-the-mill whiskies

Ah, interesting. The 'London Pride' of the Whisky world then? (pride is always my 'safety pint')

With regards to Big Peat et al, i find that the peaty Ilsay's are just a bit of a cock-measuring exercise in how smokey you can go. A bit like some dark stouts. Almost undrinkable. 10yr old Laphroig is about as far as i can go.

you haven't tried smoke head then ? it's pretty much like liquid charcoal