Newbie Rear Mech Advice

philipdayton
philipdayton Posts: 5
edited August 2011 in The workshop
Hi all, This is all new to me so be gentle.
I've been learing to love cycling over the last 2-3 years, i started off doing a short ride before work on my old cr*p HEAVY mountain bike and now get up a 5.30 every morning to do 15 miles before work!
I bought a Gary Fisher Wingra last year as i didn't want a full blown road bike but didn't want to have a full blown mountain bike either.
I have started to up grade a few bit as i have got more into cycling and it now has a new set of Shimano RS10's with Vittorio Rubino tyres, an improved bottom bracket, bar ends for better comfort over longer distances and some Avid SD7 brakes.

I like the look of the bike (even though it is a low end bike it looks quite stealthy in black) and want to keep evolving it, I'm sad like that!
The next thing I'm looking at is rear mech/front, then forks and then who knows......

It currently has a basic Shimano Acera 8 speed rear mech on it, I've found a Shimano Deore Rear Mech Shadow 9sp M592 for sale on CRC for £29.99. In the short term would this still work ok on a 8 speed cassette and using the EF50 8spd shifters or would i need to upgrade cassette/shifters etc all at once?

Thanks for your help :D

Comments

• Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    Yeah you should be fine running a 9 speed mech on an 8 speed drivetrain, the mech will just move as far as it's told by the shifters, it's not indexed or anything. I'm pretty sure the jockey wheels will cope with an 8 speed chain. Obviously you'll have to change your shifters and cassette at the same time though.