Shakespeare 100 Sportive - 11 September 2011

robgul
robgul Posts: 1,651
Shakespeare 100 (surplus goes to Macmillan Cancer Support) - Stratford-upon-Avon - Sunday 11 September 2011 - 100 miles or 100km - all the details and online entry at http://www.shakespeare100.org.uk

Now in its 3rd year - a great day out

Rob (Event Organiser)
forumleafletpic-sha.jpg

Comments

• Rob, the Beacon are taking over the Kidderminster Killer after this year. As you will know, it has always coincided with the Shakespeare 100 and probably denies either event of some riders. So as from next year, the Kidderminster Killer will take place in mid-August to avoid the clash and also fit into a slot where no many things are happening in the Midlands.

So I will be to participate in the Shakespeare 100 at long last :)

You can probably expect some Beacon riders as usual.
  • Lycra Man
    Lycra Man Posts: 141
    I can highy recommend this ride, having done it for the past two years.

A good route on quiet lanes, mixed terrain with some challenging hills, and a fantasic feed stop.

Sadly I am Otherwise Engaged this year, so Rob - all the best for another lovely sunny day, and I hope you get loads of riders and thousands of pounds for Macmillan.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • robgul
    Quick Update : 100 mile is sold out - some places for 100Km - online entry will close at noon Weds 7 September or before when the 100km sells out.

Rob
  • The .GPX files and diagram for all the routes are now on the website.

See you all there.
  • Hopefully the GPX route will be more accurate than last years.
  • Yes, when I saw the .GPX for the 105 mile ride I realised that I needed to make my own using the official route card. If you want to use it go to http://ridewithgps.com/routes/695608

I've checked everything against Google maps and street views, and unless you find anything wrong it should be ok. I'll certainly have it on my Garmin because there are so many places to go off course!
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I can confirm that there are plenty of signs for this event out on the route because we went past loads of them today on a training ride. Rob (I assume) even made a bid to get us to enter the event when we passed him putting up signs. :lol: Ten out of ten for effort!

It looked like a great deal of work was going into the event on his part so I wish the ride every success on Sunday.

Ruth
  • robgul
    Indeed it was me - never miss an opportunity! - when you said you were racing on Sunday I realised who you were, knowing you - sort of - by sight.

There will be just short of 300 bright orange arrow signs out there ... quite a task to put them up today and tomorrow .. and take them down again on Monday.

Prayers are being said for good weather :-)

Rob
  • Putting up signs is a thankless task. Almost as bad as having to remove them afterwards! Well done to all the team for all the work that will go into this event. It deserves to be well patronised. The weather looks as though it will not be as bad as the forecasters had been predicting...(what's new?).

Three of us will be up from Stroud in a yellow van, (and bikes of course!), and we're really looking forward to this ride.
  • robgul
    it would seem fair to give a bit of a plug for Listers Avonvale Honda here in Stratford-upon-Avon - for the past 3 years they have supplied 2 Honda CRV cars - complete with Macmillan livery to use for the various event tasks ... they have been "stickered up" for about a month and used as demonstrator cars ... and to promote the events we run - we get them from Thursday - Tuesday - they'll be parked very visibly at the venue!

One of them will be at Birmingham market at 0700 on Saturday to pick up the massive pile of boxes of bananas the riders consume.

Rob

PS - for those that have seen the Tour de France first hand, today I felt like the guys from Doublet that put up the fluo yellow route arrows for le tour (I have a couple of "souvenirs" on my office wall here)