Beaconsfield or Maidenhead to Marlow

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Guys,

I've got a training course to attend in Marlow at the beginning of October, and instead of staying in Marlow itself, though I might stay a few miles out and use the bike to get into Marlow.

I was taking a look at Google maps and the A308 looks all up hill from Maidenhead to Marlow, or is it more of just a Balham Hill? ;)

Beaconsfield to Marlow looks like a nicer route, and it a bit longer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
FJ
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• tomBux2
    tomBux2 Posts: 66
    It's VERY steep at the start, but doable if you're a strong climber. Be prepared to be sweaty by the time you get to Maidenhead. It flatens out after about a mile and should be pretty quick after that.

another option would be Quarry wood rd, then winter hill road, but again, VERY steep at the start, winter hill is just big!

Oh, actually, jsut re-read your post. It's down hill into Marlow (there must be a shallow climb out of maidenhead I guess as they are both by the river) So you'll be doing the steep climb on the way home, then cruising into Maidenhead. Crossing the A404 could be a bit hairy though, I'd probablly go the quarry wood way as it cuts under the A404. Test your brakes though! Beaconfield to Marlow will be very main road based, a bit nasty a rush hour, although there is a (very crap) bike path on the Marlow Rd.

Stay in one of the Chiltern villages if you can, like Fingest or Freith. That's properly nice riding!
  • FoldingJoe wrote:
    Guys,

I've got a training course to attend in Marlow at the beginning of October, and instead of staying in Marlow itself, though I might stay a few miles out and use the bike to get into Marlow.

I was taking a look at Google maps and the A308 looks all up hill from Maidenhead to Marlow, or is it more of just a Balham Hill? ;)

Beaconsfield to Marlow looks like a nicer route, and it a bit longer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    FJ

Lots of routes from Beaconsfield to Marlow. Not sure what they would be like in October with the weather though.

There is an easy route going into Marlow but that can be easily modified to add in some climbing. No matter what way you go on the way home you will have a climb that will give you some good practice for Balham Hill :wink:
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    tomBux2 wrote:
    another option would be Quarry wood rd, then winter hill road, but again, VERY steep at the start, winter hill is just big!
    +1 for Quarry Wood Road. The climb's a bit savage, but doesn't go on for *that* long... The whole Winter Hill / Cookham area is pretty nice, and not much traffic iirc...
    Pannier, 120rpm.