Rider down - me :(

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Coming up Merton Road by Wandsworth Southside, a lady in a black Corsa pulled out in front of me, before seeing me and stopping, leaving me nowhere to go. Slammed on the brakes, another 2m and I would have been fine but ended up endoing over the bars and slamming my left leg into her front wing. I carried on, bounced my head on her bonnet (thank goodness for my helmet), and ended up standing up in front of her.

She was pertified, mortified and in shock. I was seeing stars, furious, in pain but thankful it wasnt worse. We exchanged details, I checked my helmet (it was fine) moved the left brake back into position, chatted for a few mins and we went ouor separate ways.

I'm now sat here with ice on my leg, with aspirin in my system (will send the wife out for some ibuprofen when she's back) and slightly worried abouth the occasional click from my knee. I think my leg is going to hurt tomorrow :(

Thanks to the other cyclist and the lady in the car behind the one that hit me for checking I was OK. And a big FCUCK YOU to the taxi driver who watched me get up and then simply drove of up the road. Cnut.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    sorry to hear of your off dude, glad its not any worse!
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    :( hope you aren't too sore tomorrow, get on the ibuprofen. Glad it wasn't worse - make sure you've not got any concussion after hitting your head.

PP
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    sorry to hear that feller, get well soon
    FCN = 4
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Sh*t, bad news mate. Hope it all heals up soon!
  • Sorry to hear that dude, but glad you are in one piece.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Rob - unlucky, fella, but good job it's not worse.

Check your bike for any damage and take photos of it. Same goes for any cuts etc you've got now, and bruises which come up tomorrow. If you're worried about clicking in your knee, or any soreness develops overnight, get yourself to a hospital to get checked out, particularly since you knocked your head. As PP said, you want to rule out any concussion.

Also, write down (in your best handwriting, obviously) what happened, with a diagram of the events as they unfolded.

It's a royal PITA, but, since you swapped details, better to be sure and have a contemporaenous note of events. Did the cyclist and driver who stopped witness the events?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Ouch! sorry to hear that - take it easy - make sure there's no concussion
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hit your head=new helmet time.

Glad you're relatively OK though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    bails87 wrote:

+1. Helmet may look alright but they're not made for multiple impacts. Ask(/tell) the lady that hit you to pay for the replacement.

Glad you're mostly okay.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Remember the other bits of RICE too - rest, compress and elevate along with the ice on the leg - but I fear it'll hurt tomorrow and you'll have a stellar bruise. Do hope it's not too bad.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    dhope wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    +1. Helmet may look alright but they're not made for multiple impacts. Ask(/tell) the lady that hit you to pay for the replacement.

Glad you're mostly okay.
    +2 New helmet time.

Checkup with doctor would be good though. That's you not the helmet. Listen to cjcp.
    Oh, and more importantly, is the bike OK ?

Every time I see one of these posts I wonder when my turn will come.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Ah sh!t Rob - hope you're not too sore in the morning.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,381
    Ouch. Hope you're not too bashed up and the bike's alright. Glad to hear the other party did the right thing. Sounds like the classic pull-out-oh-sh!t-a-cyclist/motorcycle-freeze. Kieran_Burns posted a good article that explained the science behind why it happens.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Hope you're ok :

and +1 to making sure you write the incident up as soon as popssible while it's still fresh in your mind!!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Ouch. Speedy recovery Rob.

I went straight into the back of a van this morning, a good five yards with my rear wheel in the air followed by a big hand plant of the back of his door to save my front wheel from being a write off. Luckily for me I came away unscathed and the van driver was decent enough to ask me if I was alright and explained the car infront just slammed on their brakes in the middle of the junction..

In hindsight, I was probably far too close to the van, lesson learned.

• I went straight into the back of a van this morning, a good five yards with my rear wheel in the air followed by a big hand plant of the back of his door to save my front wheel from being a write off. Luckily for me I came away unscathed and the van driver was decent enough to ask me if I was alright and explained the car infront just slammed on their brakes in the middle of the junction..

In hindsight, I was probably far too close to the van, lesson learned.

New shorts required?

Speedy recovery to the OP.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Glad that you are OK.

Another +1 on getting a new helmet. They are designed to "crumple" internally and you can't guarantee to see the damage from the outside. Giro (and I am sure others) offer a crash damage discount on replacement lids.

Again, glad that it wasn't worse.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Ouch.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Thanks again to all. Pitchshifter, glad you're OK too. Leg is feeling less sore this morning and the knee has stopped clicking so much. Working from home as didn't fancy walking or riding today. As one of my mates said "Think Hoogerland". Now, where are those t-shirts?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Owwww. There but for the grace of God go the rest of us.

Hope not too sore. New helmet definately....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Bloody hell! Get well soon!
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Ooof, bit late but hope you're feeling better buddy. (through gritted teeth) hope to see you overtake me soon... though not if I can help it.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Ouch, bad luck. Hope the bruises don't come up too bad and you're otherwise ok. Seeing as we seem to haunt the same stretch of road along the river i'll catch up with you soon. Not surprised you didn't cycle the next day, some git tried to push me off the bike with his 4x4 in richmond park last week and that shook me up enough to take a few days off.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)