@ Northern Monkey

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,661
edited August 2011 in MTB general
As our resident Sport Scientist...

What is the difference between Rego Rapid - http://www.scienceinsport.com/public/sh ... selprod=19

And Normal Rego - http://www.scienceinsport.com/public/sh ... selprod=11

Which should i use between laps of a 24hr race and is that the same for after a marathon for example..?

thanks
ddraver
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• Hactualyy.... I have a degree in Nutrition and Sports Science... but whose counting :wink::lol:

Without looking at the specific concentrations, I would say that the Rego Recovery (Normal Rego?) would be best for between laps o the 24hr race.

Main reasons are because it lacks in creatine and contains ascorbic acid.
    Creatine may lead to dehydration or the feeling of dehydration but there is a lot of controversy about that... creatine is more for muscle building/recovery/training though.
    Ascorbic acid will be essential for such a long race and will help reduce cramp and lactic acid build up.
    The Recovery is also stacked full of amino acids which can help reduce fatigue and help maintain stamina.
    The carb content isn't too high to make it hard for the body to absorb and there seems to be a good level of natural salts.

The rego rapid would definitely be my choice to have after the marathon. More protein, contains creatine and less electrolytes.
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Sorry to cut in but......

What do think I could drink to help avoid cramp? I suffer quite badly with cramp in my thighs normally after riding when im relaxing in the evening but I do a few enduros and I have suffered during the ride in the past.

The guys at my bike shop recommended adding a product which contained salts to my camelbak, I know salts help cramp but is it worth it? Also can I add these products to my normal energy drink?

Thanks, Tim.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Yes they are worth it, I use high5 Zero tablets which contain lots of electrolytes which add back the various substances too aid hydration to stop cramp and for me they helped.
  • Possibly, ascorbic acid removes free radicals (known to lead to cramp) but its also more about being hydrated. The less hydrated you are, the higher the chance of getting cramp.

You're normal energy drink should (big generalisation - can depend on application/weather) be an isotonic drink, which already contains the correct volume of salts, assuming it is mixed correctly if it is a powder.

Potassium is also a good one to reduce cramp, food such as bananas are great for that.
  • Can I just say that achey/sore muscles and crap like symptoms after hard and long exercise is normal (Sorry I read it as being cramp during exercise).

Its a symptom known as DOMS - delayed onset of muscle soreness.

Something like the rego rapid would be good to help your legs recover... but even a good cool down after an event... eg a short jog and some light stretching can reduce the effects.
  • ddraver
    see here for Monkey's Magnificent Octapus on Hydration - http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12572817

Hmm - that is the complete opposite of what i would have guessed, very interesting....
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    WOAH!! but for GBP15 more I ll stick with REGO normal!!!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    see here for Monkey's Magnificent Octapus on Hydration - http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12572817

Hmm - that is the complete opposite of what i would have guessed, very interesting....

Its the names that confused the hell out of me!

I'm certain its got to be that way round, the rapid seems to be more of a strength training or recovery supplement than endurance.
  • ddraver
    Ah I did get that bit right then...remember some of my A-Level biology...
    - @ddraver
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Thanks guys, its definatly actual cramp I generally recover quite quickly and always have done. Ive had cramp so bad before that I have needed a friend to physically bend my leg at the knee so I could get into a position to ease it, they said it was like trying to bend a plank of wood!

This is going to sound odd but I can actually give myself cramp (I just did and now I wish I hadnt) if I tense certain muscles with my leg in a certain position. Thats not normal, right?

One thing I do consider is that cycling is pretty much the only exercise I do apart from walking, could this contribute? I wonder if I need to balance out my muscle growth in case things get 'uneven' Is there any sense to that?
    I cycle 5 miles to/from work 5 or 6 days a week, ride off road 2 - 3 evenings then at least one lengthy ride at the weekend. Apart from the cramp I feel pretty healthy.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • ddraver
    Lots of Gin & Tonics for the Quinine....
    - @ddraver
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    shouldn't that be jin a tonicks, or chinnanne tonix? (HHGTG)