JOGLE H4H Trip!

nathan_marlor
nathan_marlor Posts: 3
edited August 2011 in Tour & expedition
Just returned from our John O'Groats to Lands End trip! Managed to raise well over £2000 for Help for Heroes charity so far! We've just finished off the blog if you'd like to check it out.

Let me know what you think :-)

http://e2e2011.blogspot.com

Our donations page is:

www.bmycharity.com/e2e2011

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Well done guys, confirms that I'm right to be planning LEJOG rather than JOGLE. :)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • neilrobins
    neilrobins Posts: 102
    Just planning mine for next year I have swayed between north to south and south to north on a daily basis.
    Previous lod hands have confirmed North to south worst for wind but far better in the mind!
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    neilrobins wrote:
    Just planning mine for next year I have swayed between north to south and south to north on a daily basis.
    Previous lod hands have confirmed North to south worst for wind but far better in the mind!

For me it would be much better to get the hardest days (for climbing) out of the way early on. Then once you hit the Somerset levels you know that there are some flat sections. Cornwall Devon Dorset are ALL up and down, not big hills but steep and thousands of them. Up here in Scotland our hills are too big to go over the top so our roads tend to go round or through.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • I personally found that the hills North are sharp, short affairs whilst the hills down South are long and rolling and lots of them!

On our trip it seemed that we were cycling into a constant head wind, nothing I haven't done before but it definitely started to take its toll towards the end. If nothing else it was frustrating to have to keep using each others back wheel for 2-3 mile stretches rather than riding side by side, especially down the really quiet back roads the Garmins took us down.

I'm not sure which way I would go if I was to do it again, LEJOG seems easier but North Scotland is pretty desolate so you could struggle for food stops especially towards the end of the trip when we were stopping and eating every hour or so. Lands end also has a lot more happening than the rather bare John O'Groats. Transport wise Penzance station is only 10 miles from LE, not sure about trains near to JOG.

There are a lot of positives and negatives about each, good luck which ever way you decide to go! Give me a shout if you need help with routes or stops, we met some lovely hoteliers that were more than accommodating!

Nathan