getting more out of my commute

dazzametal
dazzametal Posts: 18
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
my daily commute to work is only short, a 4 mile round trip daily and i want to get more out of it regarding fitness as having kids i dont get a lot of time to myself at the weekends. ive started filling my rucksack with useless crap to increase the weight so i work up a decent sweat by the time i get to work.....on the way in its all uphill only one flat road and on the return trip its all down hill.aside from goin for a ride on the weekend how can i get more out of my short ride?

Comments

• Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    detour and simple make it a longer ride.
  • good call
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Up the length slightly and sprint it. My commute is only a 9.6 mile round trip so I sprint it in the morning and evening - about 14/15 minutes (dependant on lights!) to do just under 5 miles. Knackers me out on the heavy commuter (Tricross with panniers) but it's great training.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Rankles
    Rankles Posts: 144
    I use a heart rate monitor on the way to work. It's only a ten minute ride if I keep the pace up but with the HRM I make sure I'm getting the best out of it.
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Pep wrote:
    detour and simple make it a longer ride.
    This and try to make it 30-60mins worth to get a decent level of fitness. No point doing less than 30mins in a go tbh otherwise you arent even warmed up properly.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team