Decisions - need advice?

majemoss
majemoss Posts: 3
edited August 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all i'm new to the forum and just after some advice, I built up a Kinesis Maxlight XC2 with new components and some off my old hardrock approx 9 months ago.
The dilemma I have is, I want to upgrade the forks and eventually upgrade to hydraulic disc brakes but my work are also offering the cycle scheme so can get a new bike up to £1000.
The XC2 is great to ride and really light, but in the long run am I better selling the bike and getting a new one or just upgrading the components??

Any advice

Heres the maxlight :)

IMG_0457.jpg

Spec:-
Frame- Maxlight XC2 18" in white
Forks - Manitou Sx suspension forks.
Handlebars - Easton EA70 monkey bars
Stem -Easton EA50
Saddle - WTB Shadow V pro
Headset - FSA Pro Pig
Front Derailleur -Shimano SLX Top Swing M660
Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore
Bottom Bracket - Shimano XT M770
Crank - Shimano Deore Hollowtech M590
Brakes - Front Shimano XT V-Brake
- Rear Deore V- Brake
Wheels - Sun Mammoth 26" wheel with XT hubs
Shifters - Deore Sti brake and gear shifter combo
Tyres - Continental Speed King 2.3 & 2.1

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks
Mark

Comments

• Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Personally, if you like the ride then I'd keep it. A set of cheap xc wheels, hydraulic brakes and a set of motion control equipped recons/reba's (all good used parts) could be obtained for less than £300 I reckon.

Cycle to work saves a tad less than 20%, which means a good £500 saving over a new bike doing that by my books !
  • Hi thanks for the reply, I was guessing I'd probably end up spending around £800 on the scheme, but also if I sold my bike (not sure what it'd be worth) but say £300 i'd also save the £300 upgrades, so thats £600, then would you say its worth spending the extra to get say a Merlin Malt 4? or would I have a better bike with the upgrades that you mentioned.
  • you could use the scheme to get a bike with the components you want and swap em over......?