Sportives and Charity

LeicesterLad
LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
Taking part in the Wiggle Rut this year, and notice it MENTIONS rasing money for cancer research, is this compulsary, or could I raise money for a different charity of my choice. (basically once ive paid a £30 entry fee i would like to reserve the right to do as i please)

Thanks

Comments

• you don't have to raise money for charity if you don't want to - you've paid to enter the event.
  • so to properly answer your question :D if you WANT to raise money for charity, you can raise money for whichever charity you wish
  • I think there's 3 types of sportive rider

1) regular cyclists, perhaps not into racing, but love the sense of occasion of a sportive and testing themself and their mates against the clock- they tend to pay the entry but not raise sponsorship. They aren't ripping off the charities as you need a lot of these to make the event viable collecting all their entry fees (which almost certainly includes a cut for the charity as most the people working the event are volunteers for the charity)

2) people who train up for the event for a one off charity challenge- often with a personal motivation linked to the charity and they hammer the sponsorship

3) people who ride sportives a lot and constantly pester their mates for sponsorship which gets a bit annoying
    Road: Scott Expert
    Mountain: Genesis Altitude 10
    Commuter: once was 1996 Specialized Rock Hopper A1