Transporting bikes by FedEx/UPS/DHL etc

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Has anyone travelled to somewhere like the Alps and transported their bikes there by courier rather than using the airline you're travelling with?

I don't know how the cost compares, but one of the advantages seems to be that you don't need to worry about transport to and from the airport etc and they would presumably need to take more care of it than your usual airport baggage handlers. Is this right? A

Anyone have any experience?

Cheers.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    No experience but if you take bike to airport then hand it oversized luggage it goes down a conveyor, loaded on to a truck, driven to a plane, loaded on and then the same in reverse at the other end.

If the courier picks it up from home, it get loaded on a van, driven to a depot, unloaded, loaded on to another van, driven to airport, unloaded at depot, place on conveyor, loaded on a truck, driven to plane, loaded on plane. Then same at other end.

Sound like more could go wrong and you still have baggage handlers loading a plane.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My mother was a great traveller and in her later years used to fly with only her handbag! Her technique was to FedEx her luggage to the hotel where she was planning to stay each night - genius.

Also, if you have access to a corporate accout, it is incredibly cheap. I inherited a large painting a year ago and had it sent FedEx from the USA to the UK. It was here in 36hours and cost me, wait for it, £25. This is a six by five foot canvas by the way.

I agree about the handling though. If I were shipping a bike by courier I'd certainly want a good hard-case. But then I'd want the same to put one into the hold of a plane anyway.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cjcp
    Yeah, a hard bike box would be used in either case.

Will try to find out more from the people I was having a brief chat with.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    CJ, if you do want to go the FedEx route then I do have the access to the large corporate FedEx account and you do go to Cardiac area regularly right? Could ship for you.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cjcp
    SimonAH wrote:
    CJ, if you do want to go the FedEx route then I do have the access to the large corporate FedEx account and you do go to Cardiac area regularly right? Could ship for you.

Cardiac. :lol: Had a few close shaves in Newport and Cardiff night clubs in the past, but nothing to bring on a cardiac.

Very kind of you. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    cjcp wrote:
    Has anyone travelled to somewhere like the Alps and transported their bikes there by courier rather than using the airline you're travelling with?

I don't know how the cost compares, but one of the advantages seems to be that you don't need to worry about transport to and from the airport etc and they would presumably need to take more care of it than your usual airport baggage handlers. Is this right? A

Cheers.

Thinking of La Marmotte - i'll transport your bike for you! :D
  • cjcp
    JZed wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Cheers.

Thinking of La Marmotte - i'll transport your bike for you! :D

Easy, tiger. :)

Nah, sort of a general query really.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • There's a guy in Glasgow who would probably be willing to transport it for you.....