Replacement brake pads - what do I buy?

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
blonde question coming up... sorry...

I have noticed that the brake pads on my bike are wearing thin and I feel sure that I should be able to replace them without assistance from the bike shop / the boyf. So I went onto Ribble to have a look and I am a little perplexed about what to buy.

I don't think I need the shoe as well as the pad, just the pad.

I found these but the pic looks like I get the shoe too (though the description says just pad)
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/product/c ... m/BRBL/105

How do I know whether to order the black or the silver one? Does it depend on the type of 105 I have? I didn't know there was more than one option.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hi Livvy,

As far as I am aware you don't need any special blocks for 105. The black and the silver are just aesthetic options. I know that DuraAce is a different compound (and is blinking good by the way) but pretty much any cartrdge pad will do.

Comes with the cardtridge? Fine. Not as if they break the bank anyway.

The only thing you'll find a little tricky is the pad alignment. The art is to mount the pads onto the calipers loosley, use the lever to squeeze them to the braking surfaces gently. Align them so they are centered on the braking surface and parallel to the rim and then - whilst maintaining the squeeze - snick the allen bolt tight. Easy peasy.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    edited August 2011
    May I recommend:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-dura- ... n=products

If you are just switching the pads in the cartridges, should be really easy - remove the pin and slide old ones out, bit of grease on new ones and slide in, presto - well, almost, you'll need to loosen the cable tension slightly to account for the thicker new blocks (if you're feeling lazy, flipping the quick release on the caliper would get you home, making it a tool free job).
  • SimonAH
    Oh, one thing, the pads are handed. Make sure you fit them so that the open ends of the cartriges face backwards - this is hugely important as otherwise you could slam on the brakes and simply shoot the car in front with your brake pads :shock: The rattling noise as they hit the back of the car should alert the driver to look behind hirm in time to watch you come through his rear window :D

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    If you've already got cartridge blocks then you can just replace the inserts. The cartridge blocks have a tiny screw to keep the insert in place (zoom in on the first or third pictures in the link you posted to see what I mean). If so get these:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... HIMBRBL965

If not buy these:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 3000000000
    You can then just replace the inserts next time.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Thanks guys - I had thought it'd be entirely standard - ie I've got 105 therefore I buy x. So am surprised and slightly bewildered by these choices. And slightly scared by SimonAH's warnings. I shall take pics before I remove anything and make sure it looks the same before I ride anywhere!

Sounds like I need to look closely at the pad to see what type I've got - held in place with a pin or a screw or what. Will have a look tonight.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Thanks guys - I had thought it'd be entirely standard - ie I've got 105 therefore I buy x. So am surprised and slightly bewildered by these choices. And slightly scared by SimonAH's warnings. I shall take pics before I remove anything and make sure it looks the same before I ride anywhere!

Sounds like I need to look closely at the pad to see what type I've got - held in place with a pin or a screw or what. Will have a look tonight.

If it's 105 brakes then the pad should be held in place with a small phillips head screw.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Koolstop Salmons:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-dura- ... n=products

Way better performing than their shimano couterparts imo, esp in the wet. Exactly the same to fit.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Thanks guys - I had thought it'd be entirely standard - ie I've got 105 therefore I buy x. So am surprised and slightly bewildered by these choices.

Livvy...I was exactly the same when I came to replace mine a few months ago - it's far more baffling then it sounds like it should be, hey?! Once you've got them you realise how easy it is to change them. Definitely a lightbulb moment for me!

Anyway, I opted for Swisstop Greens in the end as KoolStop Salmons had sold out seemingly everywhere online.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

its super easy there are arrows pointing which way the wheel turns, match them up an jobs a good un[/quote]
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    If you take the wheel off there's no need to remove the cartridge from the calliper, so you don't have to worry about reinstalling them the wrong way round. Just undo the small screw and while squeezing the calliper together, remove old pads and insert the new ones.

I've had 105 and Ultegra callipers and have been tempted by the third party pads, but always found the Dura-Ace ones work just fine.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    WTF your brake pads have worn ....!

you need ....

A NEW BIKE

:lol: :P :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Koolstop salmons in 105's work a treat
  • JonGinge wrote:
    If you've already got cartridge blocks then you can just replace the inserts. The cartridge blocks have a tiny screw to keep the insert in place (zoom in on the first or third pictures in the link you posted to see what I mean). If so get these:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... HIMBRBL965

I've checked and I have the tiny screw thing.

Just surprised that the description doesn't mention 105. Are you sure they're the right ones? Sorry to doubt you just would be a PITA to order the wrong ones...
  • SimonAH
    They'll be perfect Livvy. Go for it.

• Thanks guys - much appreciate the help. Hopefully the boyf will be impressed when he sees I've managed it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Kool stop.

Thinking of getting some as well.