Mixing Hope brakes

stevejay
stevejay Posts: 10
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

Was wondering if it is wise to use a rear Hope M4 twin pot brake with my exsisting hope single pot on the front?

I have come to the conclustion that it is probely OK, as I use my back brake much more than the front, for all mounting biking, consisting a high percentage of XC, but also some black down hill runs, but not normally anything like full on downhill, not on a 9 year old Marin attack trail, which is a second refrebished bike, which I am loving.

What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    edited August 2011
    My thoughts are that you will be hammered for putting the more powerful brake on the rear.

Basically your back brake is for control in corners and so on, your front brake is the one that provides stopping power. So the set up really should be the other way round.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    got to agree with Thewaylander.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Holy shiz :0
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Steady on I never said I "wanted" to, i said i "had" to :lol:
  • x3man
    x3man Posts: 85
    Yep. Other way round. I have an M4 front and X2 rear.

The front stops me in a hurry and the rear scrubs speed. It's the same reason for having a larger front rotor than the rear.
  • stevejay
    stevejay Posts: 10
    Holy shiz remark LOL!!

Ok this is one way of learning.

Thanks so much for stopping me form not be able to stop myself in full flight on my bike under full front braking.

Much appreciated.
  • x3man
    x3man Posts: 85
    You'd still have working brakes, but you wouldn't be using them as efficiently as you could.
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    What they said.

M4 Front and Mini/X2 rear is quite a common combination. If you already have Hope brakes then you could always get a M4 caliper for the front then rearrange it so your Mono is on the back. Shouldnt be too much hassle if you make sure to get the right caliper and adaptors.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    M4 rear and V2 front for me, i find the M4 gives better control and feel and the V2 just plain stopping power.