Back to Commuting

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
As a respite from what now appears to be a political forum, how about some cycling chat? :wink:

I am changing jobs and will probably be commuting by bike.
My nice Colnago does a good job just now but I don't want to be using it through the winter so I am thinking of getting something specific for the job (and winter weekend club runs).

Top pick just now is a Genesis Equilibrium frame with Centaur groupset and full mudguards & lights. (I want Centaur so I can upgrade/swop between my nice bike and have tools).

I doubt anyone has this specific setup but has anyone experience of using either the frame or groupset long term in less than favourable weather conditions?
Comments please?
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Do not feed the troll

:wink:
  • daviesee
    :?: :?: :?: :?:
  • daviesee
    I will take that as a no then. :cry:

Oh well, time to go with my intuition and be happy or miserable with no-one else to blame but myself.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,381
    I've been riding the same steel frame in all weathers since 1997, so The basic material is certainly up to the job. If it died tomorrow, I'd be looking at an Equilibrium and I know UndercoverElephant swears by his. No experience of the groupset, but proper mudguards will help a lot by keeping the majority of road spray put of the drive chain.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Thinly disguised "look at me I ride a Colnago" thread. Disappointing, 2/10
    <a>road</a>
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I've been riding a steel frame since 1992 and still going strong so certainly up to the job. As for Centaur, I have it on the best bike and have ridden in all conditions without any problems. I ride Mirage on my commuter roadie all year round. Lower end than Centaur, and 9 speed, but its generally very reliable - not sure if going up to 10 speed would make any real difference.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

Consider for a moment the possibility that you are wrong.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    BigMat wrote:
    I've been riding a steel frame since 1992 and still going strong so certainly up to the job. As for Centaur, I have it on the best bike and have ridden in all conditions without any problems. I ride Mirage on my commuter roadie all year round. Lower end than Centaur, and 9 speed, but its generally very reliable - not sure if going up to 10 speed would make any real difference.

9 to 10 speed makes 11.11% difference.
    <a>road</a>
  • daviesee
    edited August 2011

I have been posting on here for over 2 years and have been quite proudly been saying that I ride my Master since day one. I do not need to start a thread simply to say so. Thanks for the constructive help 1/10 :evil:

To the others.
    It is good to know that a steel frame will not melt if ridden in bad conditions. It was this fear that had me looking at an Enigma Etape to start with but the Equilibrium seems such a good deal it would appear to be overkill to go for titanium at 3 times the price.
    The Centaur is a slight concern. It works well enough and I like it enough to buy the groupset again but I have doubts about it lasting long term through the crud. Maybe mudguards and a hose is all I need though. :P

Cheers!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633

Eh?! If we're not allowed to mention our bikes on this bike forum called bikeradar that most newcomers will come to wanting to ask about bikes, how will we learn about bikes?

Relax and go for a bike ride.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Have you tried finding an Equilibrium frame and fork yet?

I was looking a few weeks ago and no-one had any. Madison have now discontinued them. I've emailed to ask them if they are going to be bringing out a 2012 shortly or if they are planning on replacing it completely. I didn't get a response so I gave up.

Typical of Madison really.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • daviesee
    Asprilla wrote:
    Have you tried finding an Equilibrium frame and fork yet?

I was looking a few weeks ago and no-one had any. Madison have now discontinued them. I've emailed to ask them if they are going to be bringing out a 2012 shortly or if they are planning on replacing it completely. I didn't get a response so I gave up.

Typical of Madison really.

Looked at a complete bike in Alpine Bikes, Aberdeen yesterday. Surprised me how light it was :P
    They said that they could have a frame & forks for the end of the month. But they don't deal with Campagnolo so I have to consider my build options. I also have to check out bike security at my new place of work yet so can't push the button just yet.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3