Bent wheel

bikerbart
bikerbart Posts: 42
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've managed to buckle a wheel quite bad. Local bike shop tried to straighten by just tighening spokes but can't get anything like straight. I've had a bit more suceess myself by trying to bend rim back into shape and then fine tuning with spokes

Question; Can a bent rim be repaired? Is there anyone in the West Lanchashire/ North Merseyside area that does this?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope, not without compebsating elsewhere tgus weakening the whope thing. Rims are cheap and can be swopped by the home mechanic withe web and a but of truing skill
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bikerbart wrote:
    I've managed to buckle a wheel quite bad. Local bike shop tried to straighten by just tighening spokes but can't get anything like straight. I've had a bit more suceess myself by trying to bend rim back into shape and then fine tuning with spokes

Question; Can a bent rim be repaired? Is there anyone in the West Lanchashire/ North Merseyside area that does this?

yes that is how you do it.

so new wheel time as if is too far gone.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Once a rim is bent, it stays bent, new rim or new wheel time I think!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.