Coming back after illness

quakeroathead
quakeroathead Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Dear all, just a request for some training advice.

I have been training all summer for the final southern xc round in Pippingford in september. Unfortunately due to injury, holiday and viral meningitis.. :shock: I have been off training for 6 weeks!

Prior to this was doing plenty on xc, some road training and gym hill climb work. I guess what im asking is:
1 - Will I have retained some of my aerobic/anaerobic base?
2 - Whats best training up till race from now( I have 3 weeks)?
3 - Any tips for extra-speedy recovery?

Any advice or help would be great.

Paul

Comments

• I can't speak for your second and third question as I am new to the MTB scene, but I can give the third a shot since I come from a running background.

You'll be surprised how fit you still are. The first bit of training you'll do will feel like hell, but if you push through you'll be surprised that you still have a good aerobic fitness - not as much as you would have had while you were training - but a v good base to work on.

Just make sure you eat plenty (as I'm sure you lost weight during your illness) and warm-up thoroughly as your muscles may have become used to a sedentary lifestyle the past 6 weeks.

You might find that a walking/jogging routine will be a good supplement your biking during your recovery. That is, if you have run in the past - if you haven't, then don't start running so soon to the race as you may risk running into a common beginner injury.

Just don't go too mental too quickly and give your body some time to get into the swing of things.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just don't go too mental too quickly and give your body some time to get into the swing of things.

Exactly this. I'd have a word with the doctor too about what he things is best. I have a number of health problems so play it very cautiously anyway, having pretty serious PVFS.

Get well soon!
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    i find that running has helped me no end in being able to keep up with the speedier and fitter guys in my club .... ive found joggers local to me here

www.joggingbuddy.com