Wahoo ANT+?

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.wahoofitness.com/

Does anyone have any first hand experience of them? I have an iPhone, and an ANT+ receiver for it plus a few well written apps sounds quite appealing.

I'm thinking of a Garmin Edge 800 but it seems a lot of money for something that's probably a similar spec to a low end smartphone.
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Smartphones can do so much these days. I was a big fan of apps like Cardiotrainer to log my rides, stats etc... But the main thing a Garmin 500/800 has over a smartphone is battery life. You can be out riding all day with your Garmin and it'll still keep running. But if you're just going to be using it for the commute then I don't see why you'd really *need* a Garmin.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Garmin 500 at BestBuy at the moment for £100...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dhope
    Would be for longer rides, for help with routes, wouldn't get an 800 for a 6 mile commute :D
    (I might use it on the 6 mile commute after buying it under another pretense)

The 500 I'm very tempted by, but then wonder whether maps are worth it...

If you charge a phone then turn off Wifi and 3G you'll likely get a good 4 hours out of it even with GPS going I think
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Aww, In my naievete I expected the threat to be about something like this and was all excited;

Ant.jpg
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    dhope wrote:
    Would be for longer rides, for help with routes, wouldn't get an 800 for a 6 mile commute :D

If you charge a phone then turn off Wifi and 3G you'll likely get a good 4 hours out of it even with GPS going I think

Well I think if you can justify the expense, the Garmin 800 is worth it. The maps and navigation are really very good.
  • dhope
    notsoblue wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Well I think if you can justify the expense, the Garmin 800 is worth it. The maps and navigation are really very good.

Just so happens it's my birthday at the end of the month. That's a good enough justification for me.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Battery life. You won't get 14/15 hours out of an iPhone, and it's also not waterproof...
    FCN 2 to 8