Sort of new to this

Dan Ingram
Dan Ingram Posts: 79
edited August 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi, I haven't been mountain biking for about 6-7 years but before then I used to be out every weekend doing 20 mile rides. I still have my GT Ruckus frame from about 2004 which is in good condition. It was the Ruckus before they got really small and built for jumping I think. Anyway I've really got in to road biking recently but as the crap weather will be setting in soon I'd like to do a bit of mountain biking at the weekend, nothing serious just a plod over the top of Rivington with the dog running along with me to keep me fit.

Question is the frame still has a bottom bracket in, I've got the handlebars, seat and post, stem and thats about it. Is it worth me buying some cheap second hand bits and building it up or do I just buy a complete bike second hand for £300 or spend a bit more and get a new bike and save some messing about? The less I can spend the better as I've spent far to much as it is on road bike stuff :lol:

Thanks in advance
Dan
2011 Specialized Camber Pro
2012 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    These frames are very good, I have one myself. Heavy, but for harder riding they are one of the best.

Is not cheap to build up though - a new bike might serve you better, will certainly be easier to do. If you do build it up, need to research sizes of parts, but I can help you with that.
  • Ok thanks for that. I quite like the idea of building up my old bike as it was a 21st birthday present off my parents so I feel a bit bad just chucking it away. Also the reason I picked that bike was that I really liked the riding position on it.

Are forks, brakes and things like that still available new for a frame that old? It uses the smaller headset size.
    2011 Specialized Camber Pro
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Elite