Boardman headset help needed

ross87
ross87 Posts: 2
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys.

Today i have purchased a Boardman Team Rigid MTB.This one -
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... f4301fbfef

I have a spare set of Rock Shox Reba forks that I want to fit but the carbon forks on the Boardman have a tapered steerer tube.

My question is can i buy just the bottom part of a headset reducer as the top half is already 1 1/8 inch?

Also if anybody has an internal headset reducer laying around they want a few quid for then that would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance

Ross

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need to find a suitable reducer crown race or a bearing with a smaller inner ID (dont think there are any).

here is the headset info
    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/storage/i ... 20C-40.pdf

or you can get a machine shop to make up a collar for the fork and use your crown race of the carbon forks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    I think hope do a headset that fits a taper frame to a standard fork.
  • nicklouse
    Catfish wrote:
    I think hope do a headset that fits a taper frame to a standard fork.
    But this is a "special" lower bearing. which you will see hope do NOT do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Catfish
    As i read the original post ross has a pair of standard 1 1/8 inch tube forks to fit to a taper head tube frame in which case Hope do either a reducer or an 1 1/2 to 1 1/8 headset i saw it in the pick n mix section under headsets or i could have got the wrong end of the carrot and be talking crap in which case ignore me.
  • nicklouse
    the fork is a taper steerer. the reducer hope do is for hope headsets. the bottom bearing is an industrial bearing with a radius not a chamfer.

the FSA Orbit Extreme Pro 1.5R used the same bearings and had a 1 1/8th reducer crown. but they are not made now.

all the info other than on the Halfords site says the headset is for a 1 1/8th upper and a 1.5 lower. even the Boardman site says tapered steerer fork.
  • Catfish
    It is a taper steerer in the rigid carbon fork that came with the bike but isn't the steerer on the reba's that he want's to fit a straight 1 1/8 steerer hence the need for a headset adapter or odd ball headset, like the one's Hope do.
  • nicklouse
    Ok YOU go and buy one and see that it will not work.

there is NOTHING that hope do that will work with this combo.
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    What about contacting FSA and seeing if their isna crown race they can sell separately?

I just looked at the Superstar 1/18 reducer crown and says it for 36/45 angular contact bearings so I suppose that won't work either?
  • Catfish
    Don't take this the wrong way Nick but take a f@ckin chill pill. I was going by the info in the post and the info on Hopes web site. It does not say this product is for Hope headsets ony. See thats the problem with forums most people don't know much and admit it and some know a lot and share it and then there are some who know jack sh1t but make out they know it all.