Hope M4 Calipers

stevejay
stevejay Posts: 10
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Just Joined,

I am looking to purchase some Hope M4 calipers and am not sure what the difference between No.3 and No. 8 is can anyone shed some light on this please?

Regards

SJ

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they are the old IS mount ones,

No 8 is 200(5)(5) front or 180(5) rear
    No 3 is 180(5) front and 160(5) rear
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stevejay
    Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I have been researhing this to get a better understanding.

So given that the rear on my bike is IS (side mount) if I have this right, and the front is post mount. I could put the No.8 on the rear giving me 180(5)

Then because the front is post mount, would it be posible to buy a mount adapter to use on the front to make it fit 200(5)

Like the quote very much.
  • nicklouse
    ok No 8 on back 180(5) depends on which M4.

If the fork is 6" post mount the standard Post to IS adapter add 20mm to the diameter so you would use a 180(5) disc.

Or you could see if you can find a post to IS 200mm adapter I think Clee cycles do one from KCNC.

But I guess that would require you swapping hoses over on the lever assys?

I would go for a standard Post to IS adapter for the front and use the No8 for a 200(5)mm front disc and then get a +20 IS to IS adapter for the rear and run a 180(5) disc on the rear.

this will leave you with a better sellable set of brakes when you want to get rid of them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • stevejay
    NO.8 on back will have to work out exactly when I have purchased, as it will be second hand.

What you have said makes sence, thank you.

The forks are 5" so I guess that would change the front adapter size IS converstion?

Do you know what this would be?
  • nicklouse
    what fork?
  • stevejay
    I was referring to this part of you message below.

If the fork is 6" post mount the standard Post to IS adapter add 20mm to the diameter so you would use a 180(5) disc.

My forks are 5", have I missunderstood somthing?
  • nicklouse
    what are the forks?

there are two post mount standards and a few odd balls so if you give the info I can make sure you get the right info.
  • stevejay
    OK sorry about that.

They are Manitou not sure which model as they have been respayed.

They are from my original Marin attack trail 9 years old now.

The distence between the mount top to bottom is 3.5".

Hope this is enough info.

SJ
  • nicklouse
    stevejay wrote:
    OK sorry about that.

They are Manitou not sure which model as they have been respayed.

They are from my original Marin attack trail 9 years old now.

The distance between the mount top to bottom is 3.5".

Hope this is enough info.

SJ

ok we will guess they are the standard 6" post mount rather than the more FR/DH 8" post mount and we can forget about the early 6" post mount with 69mm spacing.
    your spacing should be 74mm.

more info and drawings http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 19#1590919
  • stevejay
    Thank you very much, this has been really helpful.