Can I attempt some trail riding on this?

Keith1983
Keith1983 Posts: 575
edited August 2011 in MTB beginners
I have a Raleigh Attitude. I know full well that it isn't really designed to be a serious trail riding tool, but should I spend money on something else or give it a go on this first? It's 24 speed, with sr suntour forks with V brakes. Is it suicide or a smart move to see if I like trail riding on this first?

Comments

• Keith1983
    here is a pic of one, not mine but exactly the same.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... WpBqFdx9GA
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Depends:

on the state of the bike,

on the trails you want to ride

your riding skills.

If the bike is safe to ride, the trail not too technical and your skills up to par. then it should be doable.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I would give it a go it wont be any worse than the sort of bikes we used to ride off road 30 years ago. Only problem is it might fall to pieces pretty quick, bearings and brakes wont be up to a lot of hammering but will get you started.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Keith1983
    Im tempted to flog it and buy something up to the job but would like to give it a bash before I commit to buying. Do most trail centres rent bikes out? Maybe that would be a better bet?
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Just choose the trail centre to match your bike and skills. Whereabouts are you? If you enjoy it you'll start getting an idea of what you want your bike to do.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    your bike will be fine lets face it cheep bike cheep to repair right just be realistic if you see a nice jump id advise to not do so and care on steep decents it will give you a taist never the less. my bike isnt much better i have a £400 carrera kracken and thats done dalby black and some mild dh at race pace every other weekend gone from coast to coast to edinbrough from hull ect and 20 miles each day commuting granted its not as good as bikes made for it but i think youll be fine just use some common sense lol
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Keith1983
    Thanks for your input guys. I might just take it out and try to break it and then post photo's in testament to how manly I am for breaking a bike! That is presuming I don't break myself at the same time!
  • I've done similar with my 6 year old Halfords Apollo lump, taken it out and ridden it into the ground and it's let me get a taste for things without forking out unnecessarily. Thankfully the missus has now let me order a new bike to replace it instead of paying out to repair hubs, brakes and the fork.

As others have said, as long as you're sensible and ride within your limits it should do for now.
  • Huck Finn
    Huck Finn Posts: 157
    Get out and thrash it Keith. It'll be a good starting point because if it's not capable, you'll soon know the sort of bike you need.
  • antop34
    antop34 Posts: 62
    haha, sorry jon1993, i love the 'mild dh at race pace every other weekend' part, gutsy on Kraken.

back to Keith1983, your bike will handle a trail, but it may not have the longevity you need to keep getting out there. Now the autumn seems to be setting in your v-brakes will struggle in the damp/wet and the forks are not going to offer much help either.
    Most trail centres will rent bikes out, but be careful what you choose, as there is no point going for a £3k full sus if your budget is going to stretch to £500 hardtails.
    I have done trail centres on various hardtails. from my first outing on my Giant Iguana (and last!) to my Saracen Tufftrax back in the day and it was more about having fun and trying to get through bits that the bike really shouldnt have been able to do, let alone me!
    Now i ride a full sus most of the time as im soft and my knees hurt!
  • jon1993
    antop34 wrote:
    haha, sorry jon1993, i love the 'mild dh at race pace every other weekend' part, gutsy on Kraken.

yeh you could say that all seems a good idea while your doing it hense why i need a new bike 2 flat spots on wheels, cracks in the center of the forks just about to give from bottoming them and crushed BBs lol but hell its lasted 2 yrs of the punishment and costs nothing to repair/ replace broken parts
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Fallout
    Fallout Posts: 25
    Dude i have a Raleigh venture its not that dif from the one you haveand i find that its a good bike but if you try to push i to hard then things will go wrong (well thay do for me lol)
    Riding since 2010
  • Keith1983
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a bash and see how I get on. If I think the bike is the limiting factor then I'll look to buy something more suited.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    My mate has only recently upgraded from a 5+yr old rockrider, with less than 1" of working travel on the forks, awful brakes and gears which weren't too bad.
    He's done Llandegla, CyB, Penmachno to name a few and it never hampered him. I had a go on it at cannock one day and was shocked at how bad it was, but he got along just fine :)
    Give it a go, it'll be fun either way.
  • jon1993
    its always fun to have a good crash now and again anyway:P haha
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've rode worse down my local red trails. The brakes were rubbish and I ended up hitting a tree stump and was thrown head first into a ditch. This was the result:
    18931.jpg

I'd say go for it but don't ride beyond what you or your bike are capable of.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    what happened to your face???
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I was moving my head around to check my neck was ok as I used my head to stop by hitting it against the opposite side of the ditch, cracked my helmet in the process. My neck was a bit stiff for a few days after that.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    Hey, started out on a similar spec bike, found it great until I got carried away and went too fast, there was no way the brakes were going to stop me fortunetly the rocks did :oops: . Give it a go but as others have mentioned watch the speed, I noticed a big difference when I eventually got a decent bike with discs and suspension that worked :o .
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    If that raleigh's got properly set up v brakes then it'll be fine for woods and trail. Try it at a red graded trail center, it'll probably be ok on that too.
  • pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    Give it a go! I started off on a raleigh massif back in the day. Ok your bike is not the latest technology but if you're just getting into it then there's no point buying a new bike. As the others have said as long as it's safe to ride, go for it. You only know what you're used to riding! Save your money until you get into mtb or your bike falls to bits?! :lol:
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012