strange noises

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
my marin wolfridge has started making some strange noises, its had 2 days on the trails...only about 25 miles in horrid conditions.

when pedaling as pressure is put on the crank it sems to make a wierd noise i cant really describe, sounds like a cross between squelching and a long piece of metal being pinged so it vibrates and gives off sound...told it was weird, it might be best for me to take a video of it when im pedaling.

I had other squeaks and all but ive been about the bike lubing and greasing moving parts and im still left with this noise, im deaf so have trouble locating sources of sounds. The crankset is a shimano SLX HTII and i assume the BB is the same as its OEM. I took the chain off and spun the crank and it sounds fine, just seems to be when preassure is applied ie pedaling.

any ideas?

Comments

• davildo
    davildo Posts: 162
    Just a guess but..

Your wonderful description of the noise sounds a bit like an issue I had.
    Your rear derailleur might need indexing. If your chain is not sitting on the cog properly it can make a rattly or squelchy noise under power.
    You can kind of test this by fiddling with your barrel adjuster whilst you ride along. If it stops the noise you will need to re-index your gears. If that is the case, I used the Park Tool rear derailleur adjustment guide. It covers everything from start to finish.

If its not that, I have no idea.

Hope that helps.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    And, er... leave the pivots alone, don;t undo them or grease them, leave them be. It is almost certainly not going to be them.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    First, while off the bike put some weight on the saddle so that it's compresses the suspension. If there's no noise then you can rule out the pivots and shock.

Does it still make the noise when pedaling out of the saddle. If so then you can rule out the saddle and seatpost.

So now we know that it's the drivetrain:
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... rive-train
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    Sharp pings are often the chainring bolts need tghtening
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    madmole wrote:
    Sharp pings are often the chainring bolts need tghtening
    I was also thinking that it my be chainring bolts. Try tightening the cassette up too.

It really is just a matter going through everything, removing, re-greasing and tightening it back up to the correct torque.

I had to troubleshoot a noisy drivetrain before and it ended up being the cassette being loose and a hub that was seriously in need of a clean and grease.
  • i'll try the chain ring bolts ;) , defo not the rear derailliuer or seat post.....i'll keep you posted.
  • ok Just to try and give a better example of the noise..if i can :lol: . Imagine a spoke or a thin strip of metal, you hold it down on the table with some projecting off the table, you lift the overhang up and ping it/let go, as you hold it fast to the table still with the other hand the metal bounces up and down vibrating at a high frequencey. Also imagine a tout wire cable, when you ping it it gives off a similer noise similer to what a guitar would do.

Now then! ive tightened and greased any part i thought could be causing it, bike is still doing it when i put pressure on the pedals, however i did notice that when i free wheel the pedal backwards then take up the slack on the crank forwards, when the slack is taken up the crank clunks (as they all do) depending on how hard you take up the slack, when it clunks the noise can also be heard twanging/vibrating, ive no idea if its traveling through the frame or what but its annoying when pedaling(not clunking ).....any ideas? :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Cranks shouldn't clunk :?

You say you've tightened any part that "could be causing it", well, what parts exactly are those?
  • davildo
    davildo Posts: 162
    It sounds like a cable twanging to me.

Have you checked your cables are routed correctly?

The end of a cable isn't getting flicked by the spokes or cranks is it?
  • Cranks shouldn't clunk :?

You say you've tightened any part that "could be causing it", well, what parts exactly are those?

im trying to describe how i got the sound to appear so i could listen to it, when you backpedal theres no drive and when you start to pedal the crank forward for a brief moment there is no drive till the drive picks up, now you CAN make a clunk doing this when the drive picks up, get on your bike and try it you will see what i mean, normally we controll this so they do it smoothly with no clunk, again just to clarify i was causing the clunk so i could hear the vibrating noise, the clunk was caused by me and is not the issue :)

its not the ends of cables, ive checked that, the routing looks fine, im at a loss as to what it is :roll:
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    If the clunk doesnt start till the slack is taken up then its likely to be the rear hub. In fact as you get a clunk and a noticable dead spot before the slack is taken up its likely to be the hub ratchet mech thats making the noise

Good hubs dont have that slop so there shouldnt be be any dead slop when you change peddle direction

I'll second the above. there shouldnt be a clunk when you engage
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • Anonymous
    Well, no, my point is that cranks shouldn't clunk at all, which made me think either they were loose, or the chainrings were loose, or the pedals or bb were knackered.
    But it turns out the clunking was coming from the freehub ratchet.

this is why information and accuracy are important.
  • Well, no, my point is that cranks shouldn't clunk at all, which made me think either they were loose, or the chainrings were loose, or the pedals or bb were knackered.
    But it turns out the clunking was coming from the freehub ratchet.

this is why information and accuracy are important.

i know fella, i was just trying to clear it up so you could understand me better, the squelching noise that goes with the vibration was the shock :lol: but thats still not the problem, its this strange vibrating noise when force put on crank, im stuggling to locate the source of noise, i hate beaing deaf........and dumb :lol:
  • Anonymous
    So, what, specifically, have you tightened?
  • So, what, specifically, have you tightened?

well ive greased the likes of stem, bars and bolts, seatpost, crank bolts, jockywheels, pedals, ive not touched the HTII
  • Anonymous
    bars and bolts?
  • bars and bolts?
    stem bolts so the bar is tight :lol:
  • ok guys, figured out what was wrong, after taking out the BB cupes and everything and that was all greased fine i thought the only thing left is the chain.

recently i have started using Krytech wax lube..............yes you guessed it :lol::lol:

i stuck on some rock and roll grease, took the bike up the street and the noise was gone :roll: it did go away slightly when i had waxed the chain up but it was raining too so never put more thought into it.

anyone here use wax?