Refurbing an old Puch

Gussio
Gussio Posts: 2,452
edited August 2011 in The workshop
Refurbishing an old, neglected Puch road bike that I got for free. Front wheel (700c) replaced, new brake blocks, brake and gear cables, plus Tektro aero levers. All good so far. Just leaves the rear wheel and drive train. It is a 5 speed set up, with downtube friction shifters.

Questions:

1. The chain needs replacing but I can't see any 5-speed specific chains. Will a 7 speed chain do the trick?

2. The cassette also needs replacing, but I can't find a 5-speed cassette! Could I use a 7 speed cassette? Because the shiters aren't indexed, I'm hoping this is possible, but don't know whether there is the reach in the existing rear mech.

3. The rear wheel is pretty shoddy. The only spare that I have is a 10 speed only Fulcrum Racing 7. Would this be way too wide...? If so, I need to find a cheap rear wheel....

Any thoughts gratefully received. Understand that some of the above are incompatible - e.g. if the 10-speed wheel will work, then I will be needing a 10 speed chain. If it turns into too much trouble, then it is going fixed, but I would really prefer to keep the gears.

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Gussio wrote:
    Refurbishing an old, neglected Puch road bike that I got for free. Front wheel (700c) replaced, new brake blocks, brake and gear cables, plus Tektro aero levers. All good so far. Just leaves the rear wheel and drive train. It is a 5 speed set up, with downtube friction shifters.

Questions:

1. The chain needs replacing but I can't see any 5-speed specific chains. Will a 7 speed chain do the trick?
    Yes- the difference is that the old 5-speed chains didn't have flush rivets, the internal width is much the same.
    2. The cassette also needs replacing, but I can't find a 5-speed cassette! Could I use a 7 speed cassette? Because the shiters aren't indexed, I'm hoping this is possible, but don't know whether there is the reach in the existing rear mech.
    Are you sure it's a cassette? I think it's likely to be a freewheel, most 5-speeds were.
    You should be able to source a freewheel but it may be too wide for the rear hub and, as you say, the rear mech may not have enough travel. There are various options- cold set the frame to suit a wider spacing, get a good-used or NOS freewheel, replace the mech, if necessary, or do all three and get indexed shifters, too...

3. The rear wheel is pretty shoddy. The only spare that I have is a 10 speed only Fulcrum Racing 7. Would this be way too wide...? If so, I need to find a cheap rear wheel....
    Probably, though you may be able to fix that with some frame "adaptation"... The shifters & mech may not play nicely, though, with a narrow chain and tight sprocket-spacing.
    It's about this point that people usually consider building a fixie....
    ... If it turns into too much trouble, then it is going fixed, but I would really prefer to keep the gears.
    :-)

Get yourself a 5-speed freewheel and a new chain. It'll be fine....

Cheers,
    W.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Awesome advice - thanks very much indeed. Will sort something out and report back....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Halfords do them for £12.99, I dare say cheaper can be found.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.