Cycle shoes part 2

2»

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Lovely as the thought is, I regret that Lorica is not the gently tanned hide of marsupial scrot sack, but an artificial material. And you thought it was putting some swing and hop into your souplesse right? :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Bont, however, do make kangaroo leather cycling shoes. Weather it's their hairy nut-sack, though, is another matter.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Sidi Ergo 2 Carbon Vernice in Red for special occasions.
    Shimano RT065 (guessing can't remember) grey with red details carbon soles for the training duties. Would like to replace with Geniuses though
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Pssst:

Offered for free: 1 pair used Spesh road BG, size 45. Complete with cleats, spare cleats and Ultegra pedals:

http://t.co/ZYIfq9R

Collection only - SE1, SW18 or a pub in-between...
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Lovely as the thought is, I regret that Lorica is not the gently tanned hide of marsupial scrot sack, but an artificial material. And you thought it was putting some swing and hop into your souplesse right? :D

Bugger, I'm chucking mine in the bin now. All these years and now it feels like being told Father Christmas isn't real...which I know he is (even though most of the presents he leaves for me come in Wiggle wrapping paper).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Spesh BG elite.

Beats my Decalthon £30 jobbies.

Though they don't match my clothes.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    what's so great about Sidis?

serious question.

I think they look great (black and red). But I chose my Mavics over an equivalent pair of Sidis because it was a better fit, and the soles were more rigid.

The Mavic yellow is a combo breaker for my ensemble though :(
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Pssst:

Offered for free: 1 pair used Spesh road BG, size 45. Complete with cleats, spare cleats and Ultegra pedals:

http://t.co/ZYIfq9R

Collection only - SE1, SW18 or a pub in-between...

PM sent my good man
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Damn why do I always just miss out, my size too
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Spesh BG Pro's for the Road Bikes

Lake SPD's for the Fixed and MTB

Sidi Genius 2's - spares (find them too narrow these days)
    Diadora road shoes - spares (again too narrow)
    Addidas MTB shoes - for really mucky MTB stuff (that I rarely do).

PS I think my feet have gone wider over the years !
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:

serious question.

I recently tried some Sidis, the first time I've used them on a ride. I tried a pair on about seven years ago, but bought some Spesh BG shoes instead (which were lovely, but not as stiff). I'd always thought my feet were too wide for Sidis, but have to say that I found the Sidis more comfortable than my Nike Poggios, which are carbon-soled and pretty stiff. This stiffness was particularly noticeable on the Marmotte, so I'm now mulling over buying some Sidis.

If Chris is considering a pair, despite their expense, then they must be good. I've always been put off on account of having large, wide feet.

:D

It may be that they're already worn in, but I'm very tempted.

On a related note, I went to a farm today, after Essex Commuter's post, but before SimonAH's. There was a kangaroo there. All I could think of was of his nut-sacks being used for cycling shoes.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I just have a pair of dhb's. do the job just fine for me and to be honest I don't see the need to spend out silly cash on cycle shoes
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    edited August 2011
    cjcp wrote:

serious question.

I recently tried some Sidis, the first time I've used them on a ride. I tried a pair on about seven years ago, but bought some Spesh BG shoes instead (which were lovely, but not as stiff). I'd always thought my feet were too wide for Sidis, but have to say that I found the Sidis more comfortable than my Nike Poggios, which are carbon-soled and pretty stiff. This stiffness was particularly noticeable on the Marmotte, so I'm now mulling over buying some Sidis.

If Chris is considering a pair, despite their expense, then they must be good. I've always been put off on account of having large, wide feet.

Try the sidi mega fitting. Not available in all styles though. I went from a 46 in spesh MTB to a Sidi mega in a 46.5 and the shoes are perfect for my hobbitesque feet

Also completely eliminated the foot hotspots that I suffered with in Northwave shoes.
  • cjcp
    NGale wrote:
    I just have a pair of dhb's. do the job just fine for me and to be honest I don't see the need to spend out silly cash on cycle shoes

Silly cash = much faster. Fact. :D

I guess it depends on what you mean by silly cash and what you use them for and how often.

My dhbs are the business for commuting - and great value (bought the bottom of the range model, I think) - but they're showing signs of wear after less than two years which others shoes I've used haven't displayed, and they've only had very limited off-road and racing use. So, someone doing more of the latter would probably need a better quality shoe. I also wouldn't use them for road sportives.

For sportives and racing, I can see the need for a lighter/stiffer/more comfortable etc shoe, which usually means more expense.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    @fidbod - cheers for that
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    My £50 M076 SPD shoes have done close to 10,000 miles, maybe more but tell me this, how many mph would I gain having some very expensive SIDI shoes on the Embankment run?

:P
  • cjcp
    I didn't say for the commute. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    cjcp wrote:
    I didn't say for the commute. :wink:

But but but my commute is my race day/sportive/training ride all rolled into one :lol:
  • I prefer my Mavic's to my Sidi's, except for the logo. Non cyclists think I bought them from Morrisons. :?
  • notsoblue
    I prefer my Mavic's to my Sidi's, except for the logo. Non cyclists think I bought them from Morrisons. :?

The horror! :shock:
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    notsoblue wrote:
    I prefer my Mavic's to my Sidi's, except for the logo. Non cyclists think I bought them from Morrisons. :?

It does look like Morrisons - hilarious, my brother has a pair too. Think I took the piss out of Ginge's pair once or twice :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

It does look like Morrisons - hilarious, my brother has a pair too. Think I took the wee-wee out of Ginge's pair once or twice :D

This is terrible terrible news, I knew I should have gone with Sidi.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Interesting that people are saying Diadora shoes come up narrow. I've got wide feet and find Diadora shoes fit really well - I have 3 pairs. The half sizes mean its easier to get a good fit.

I also have a pair of Lake touring shoes as reserve commuting shoes - had them ages, but they are pretty much indestructible (have a lifetime guarantee :shock: )
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    notsoblue wrote:

It does look like Morrisons - hilarious, my brother has a pair too. Think I took the wee-wee out of Ginge's pair once or twice :D

Nah, Jon's actually are from Morrisons. That's where he gets most of his kit.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have Dhb's - only shoes i have ever owned - when i get a new bike - i'll probably upgrade the shoes as well (new bike = new pedals + new shoes)

I'm with DDD - Spd SL's all the way...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • cjcp
    Tried the Sidis again this morning. I think my issue may be with the carbon soles on the Poggios; they must be just a bit too stiff. The Sidis don't have carbon soles, so there's a bit more "give".
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I just ought a pair of Sidis in the sale. Wore the lugs on my Specialized BG Experts out in about a month of commuting - comfy shoes, amazingly stiff and light, but the lugs are made of butter. Went Sidi because they have replaceable heel lugs, no other reason (except I love my Sidi motorcycling boots and they're tough as tanks).
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Sidi Dominators for pretty much everything
    Sidi Hydro Gore for winter
    Dromarti Sportivo Black for pretty things

at present.. the dominator's are starting to get old; sounds like an excuse to buy best ones soon
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Wiggle's got an extra 10% off code for shoes, today only: EXT10-SHO
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides