IOM end2end training - what should I be doing?!

rewound
rewound Posts: 6
edited August 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Hi all,

I have been conned into doing the end2end this year, as a challenge, and am, at the moment, woefully unprepared for doing the course!

In the lead up to the e2e I have limited time in which I can train due to other exercise related commitments and basically am limited to a Wednesday evening and maybe a Friday morning a week (will be getting a Friday evening in about 3 weeks but think this might be a little late). I do go to 3/4 spin sessions at the gym a week in the mornings and have been for about the past 12 months but these tend to be very focussed on short sprints or short hills. I am loathe to lose one of these sessions and replace it for a morning spin around the local hills, as basically, I'm barely awake at these and would be a danger to others on the road at these times in the morning!

So given my limited time and the fast approaching deadline, would I be better to focus purely on hills, of which I have in abundance near me, but do shorter distances (10-15m), or to focus on getting my stamina up and pushing some longer rides (30-40 miles) on not so hilly terrain?

Cheers

R

Comments

• xcMuttley
    xcMuttley Posts: 434
    I cant help to much as i am not old enough to race it yet as i am 15 and you cant enter till your 16 but i have seen it a few times as i visit family over there when its on, prepare yourself for both but do a lot of practice on hills as some of the hills are long and steep, Also prepare for the rain the weather can change very quickly
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    Hills, hills and more hills (of a similar height and angle) worked for me for the last 2 years.