Fulcrum 15QR conversion kit

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone had any experience using these ?

My hubs are convertible to 15QR, with a "conversion kit". The kit consists of two spacers that sit outside of the current end caps on the hub.

My problem is that when you remove the existing axle, replacing with the 15mm thru axle, there is far too much movement in the wheel, even when doen up tight as the original axle is 20mm

The diagram with the conversion kit seems to suggest that you leave an axle in place, and simply rmeove the current 9mm end pieces, replacing with the 15mm adaptors, however the current axle seems to be a solid piece at one end i.e. not meant to be removed

Anyone ever fitted one of these kits ? as usual, info from fulcrum is limited...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hang on. you already have this?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DCR00
    i have the "conversion kit", which is just the two spacers

having had a dig around, i think i need a special axle to go with the spacers
  • DCR00
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fulcrum-Red-Met ... B003RLJGV8

i have the spacers in the pic, but not the axle...
  • nicklouse
    moved to tech.

the hole in the hub is already the right size. the spacers just clip over the out side to take up the space of the flange the Qr inserts had. the diameter of the Qr insert that went into the hub was 15mm?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • DCR00
    yep, understand that

the original hole in the axle only takes the standard QR size, so wouldnt take a 15mm axle

see pic

SANY0204-1.jpg
  • nicklouse
    Ok lets start at the beginning.

what model wheel? and what year?

and are you sure that end will not come off?
  • DCR00
    Red Metal 3

2011 model

Trying that now
  • DCR00
    wont budge...
  • nicklouse
    DCR00 wrote:
    this appears to be what i need

http://www.bikeman.com/HU6175.html

Mmm that is shown in the 2009 spare parts list.

while the 2011 seems to be a different fitting.

not sure.
  • DCR00
    all seems pretty unclear

the tech docs on Fulcrum's website show the Axle for the 15QR conversion as the same for the 9mm QR...

from pics of the end cap for the 9mm QR, they do look like they unscrew, but then in the diargram that came with the spacers, they appear to pull out :?

SANY0207-1.jpg

have emailed i-Ride for help
  • nicklouse
    yep that is my understanding they just pull out and push on.

I would say you have old stock.
  • DCR00
    they did come off eBay

bargain price i couldnt resist...
  • DCR00
    i-Ride being less then helpful, suggesting that pre-2010 wheels cant be converted

from looking at the Fulcrum tech docs, that seems to be correct in that they seem to have a seperate 15QR hub and axle, but mine are 2010 wheels (not 2011 like i said), and they appear to use the same axle for both 9mm and 15mm

have emailed half a dozen European distributors and one from the US to see if i can get a straight answer

having shone a torch into the axle, it does appear to be in 3 pieces and i can see the rubber o-ring referred to in the diagram above, so the ends may pull off, however i dont have the tools to do so, and i dont really want to mess up the axle if i can help it
  • nicklouse
    sounds like you need to MTFU or get the LBS to have a go.

Pics of the 15mm parts you got?
  • DCR00
    i only have one decent pair of pliers...

going to LBS later to get gear outer, so may have a go then

SANY0209-1.jpg
  • nicklouse
    i would expect to just pull out. maybe get some oil in the axle to lube the o rings up a bit.
  • DCR00
    after much discussion with i-Ride, it seems that i have made a mistake :oops:

seems that the 2010 version of my wheels dont have a conversion, and were supplied as either 9mm or 15mm hubs

so the current axle probably doesnt come apart

mistake came from looking at 2011 details on the website, then buying 2010 wheels...

looking in detail at the 2009 tech docs, the hub for the thru axle and the 9mm QR are the same, so the axle is different

I cant see why they would change that for 2010, plus the rest of the kit appears to be the same

so all i need to get is the thru bolt axle kit from Fulcrum....

only the whole of Europe seems to be on holiday at the moment