Specialized Camber Comp, 2011

arian37
arian37 Posts: 77
edited August 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Hi,

Pics (somewhere in the ether) of my Spec Camber Comp, size medium.

photostream
photostream
photostream

Standard spec, apart from:

Avid Elixir 5 brakes (185 f / 160 r)
SLX Shifters
XT Rear mech
Lizard Skins Moab lock-on grips
Shimano XT SPDs
Bontrager Race Lite 70mm stem
Giant saddle (to be changed - just needed to get rid of the white and red one!).
Cateye Enduro computer
Bontrager Bottle Cage

Oh, and de-stickered the Ario Shock, again, to try and get rid of the red. I'll be looking for a new fork at some point - 120mm reba probably (black). Tried with Nobby Nics for a few rides but didn't have any confidence in the damp.

Comments

• chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    edited August 2011
    Oopsie double post :P
  • chrisjnr19
    Please don't tell me that those are Recon Silvers on a £1200 bike :(

I mean, I love Specialized and everything but I find that slightly for want of a petter word 'cheap' :?

I like the frame though :D
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    chrisjnr19 wrote:
    Please don't tell me that those are Recon Silvers on a £1200 bike :(

I mean, I love Specialized and everything but I find that slightly for want of a petter word 'cheap' :?

I like the frame though :D
    Yup, Recon Silver TK = Turnkey damping on a £1249 bike

Oh and Alivio too

And octalink BB

I hate to say it, but that is a very poor spec for the money, the only thing that could possibly make up for it is the ride quality

With the Nobby Nics you might want to lower the pressure in them, they grip much better at lower tyre pressures ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • arian37
    edited August 2011
    I got the Nobby's cheap from an on-line retailer. They seem a really hard compound compared to others I've had in the past.

Yeh, Recon Silver TK. Actually, they don't ride too bad to be honest but will be going for some Rebas at some point soon when funding allows.

Alivio gone as soon as I had it (replaced with SLX), and the brakes, which were ok but I had some Elixir 5's to put on them. I know it's not fashionable but there is nothing wrong with an octolink crankset and BB and they last for ever!

As far as the spec for the money - I think this is pretty much a sign of the times. The frame is very nice, probably the best full sus I've had. The bike was a replacement so I didn't actually pay for it but I think if I had £1200 for a double bouncer I'd still probably go for this (or wait for the end of season and pick up something higher spec).
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    They are great bikes and the frames are sweet
    I have the Camber Expert great bikes enjoy mate
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • arian37
    Hey,

Finally managed to get a pic on the screen.

6026964734_e02b336758.jpg

I agree, really nice bikes, despite or because of their lack of tappered head tube, press fit BB or bolt-through axles?

Very supple ride quality, hardly notice the rear sus working, which, as a hard-tail fan, is a bonus 8).

Too much red and white though and the seat post is the worse design ever. Small criticisms in the grand scheme of things.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Aye the frames are awesome, not ridden a Camber but I'm sure it'll be very similar to the Stump.
  • moster
    moster Posts: 121
    I have one of these too which I've moved a few of the bits from my old Boardman onto. It now has Reba RL's in black (with Maxle), Elixir R's & the Ritchey wheels off the Boardman and rides great. I put a Thomson stem on it too.

Planning on upgrading the bars & seatpost pretty soon as I'm sure they are pretty hefty and the cranks/shifters etc as they wear out.

Been meaning to stick some photos up but never got around to it.

Good bikes though.
    When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.
  • arian37
    I'm in a a bit of a quandry.

At the moment I've got three bikes and no room! This is being made more difficult by a growing collection of camping gear, my wife's bike and my elder daughter's bike (about to have for birthday).

So, contemplating getting rid of all three current bikes and getting one to replace them all. I need a hardtail for child seat for younger daughter and I'll need to commute. So thinking 29er.

Anyway, with this in mind, if I put the Camber up for sale (with the original brakes but with the slx shifters and xt rear mech) what do you think it would be worth. The only wear is where my heals have rubbed (now covered with tape).

Let me know your thoughts. Already put the Defy on here.

Cheers
  • arian37
    Took some better pics in the sun today after a 3 hour ride. Have to say, very nice bike and decided I'm keeping and upgrading (road bike is going).

6042179277_cc75f12d80.jpg
    6042178183_7a6d1ef96e.jpg
    6042722244_aa56800d5e.jpg
    6042720984_17c2d37e33.jpg
    6042719820_ee7e138266.jpg
    6042718858_3796124dfe.jpg
    6042717444_e945ac38ca.jpg

So, anyway, on to trivial matters. Going to get some Reba's - not sure to get them in black or white. Also, seatpost, stem and bars - I'm thinking silver - any thoughts :?
  • chrisjnr19
    Reba's in white- with red decals; that will look great, but we can all see that you dislike the red/white combo...

It does beg the question though, why on earth did you buy this particular one?? :?

Silver would look a tad out of place aswell, stick with black, and/or white. :)
  • arian37
    I didn't really have an option. It's not so much the combination of red and white it's just that there is sooooo much of it. I think if the forks has been white with a bit of red that would have looked much better. I actually like the red / white combo on the frame, it's the rest of it I'm not sure of! Anyway, so says a man who has to take fashion tips from his 4 year old daughter :oops:
  • I have the same bike but put a pair of dual air revs on it, it made such a difference, really changed the ride
  • arian37
    How much travel do the revs have and does it handle it ok?
  • they are U turn 110 - 140mm. I use 110 for climbing and up to 140 for descents, feels fine,

Technically only allowed 110 - 130 for warranty. 140 really changes the feel of the bike, not good for climbing so I wouldn't recommend a 140mm fork
  • they are U turn 110 - 140mm. I use 110 for climbing and up to 140 for descents, feels fine,

Technically only allowed 110 - 130 for warranty. 140 really changes the feel of the bike, not good for climbing so I wouldn't recommend a 140mm fork
  • arian37
    Thanks mickey. I was looking at some Reba RLT ti 120mm in white from on one but they've put the price up from £350 to £400 over night!! :cry:
  • chrisjnr19
    I was a bit miffed myself, I was planning to buy a set of SID RLT Ti's (provided Halfords hurried up with their diagnosis :( ) They put them up by £50 aswell...

Although Merlin Have the same Ti Reba's for about a tenner more with the VIP discount, so not all is lost for you... :D

Here, AND THEY HAVE THEM IN WHITE!... >> http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... -RLTTI.htm
  • arian37
    Cheers mate - only problem is they are only 100mm travel. Can you still change the travel on Reba's by removing the spacer like in the old days?
  • chrisjnr19
    Whoops, I thought I'd responded :shock:

I had my 2010 Reba Races (technically 2011 RLT's) at 120mm for about 2 months and that was done by removing an internal spacer, I had it reduced again as I found it a bit unstable at times.... I can't imagine that the internals of the RLT Ti's are that different, apart from the Ti damping cartridge of course :P

I'd say it shouldn't be too difficult ;)

Hope that helps...