Chain length disaster (possibly)

davildo
davildo Posts: 162
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
So...
I have a rockhopper, it had a deore triple chainring and an 11-32 cassette.
I decided to get a double and bash, as the big ring didn't get a lot of use and was a bit mangled.
I fitted the 36t middle ring and bash, no problem.
I fitted the 11-34 cassette, no problem.
I also got a new chain as the other one was very worn.

Having consulted park tools, I threaded it through the front derailleur and round both big rings (the biggest at front and rear). I then split it 2 links longer than where it met when pulled tight. However it seems way too short. I've adjusted the b screw to allow for the larger cog on the cassette but the chain needs to be a bit longer. Not sure what has happened. The chain is a KMC. Is it ok to add a couple of links using a power link? Is it ok to then have 2 power links in a chain or does it weaken it?

Your advice would be appreciated,
Cheers, Dave.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope. Just wack them in
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Take a pic of what the chain looks like in the big big combination. I know when I change to the big big combination on mine the chain looks a bit short but in reality it's fine.

I'm running 24/36t chainrings + and an 11-34T cassette
  • davildo
    I'll try and take a pic but the derailleur is almost horizontal pointing towards the front ring.
  • davildo
    Thanks for the input by the way.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Almost horizontal in big/big (which you shouldn't use any really) is exactly how it should be....if the chain is too short it will drag the rear mech up into the cassette, if it's OK you have the chain the right length!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davildo
    I knew big/big should be avoided on a triple, also small/small. A 36t middle ring in a double is sort of halfway between the old middle and big rings. Should big/big be avoided in a 36t double set-up?
  • Davildo wrote:
    I knew big/big should be avoided on a triple, also small/small. A 36t middle ring in a double is sort of halfway between the old middle and big rings. Should big/big be avoided in a 36t double set-up?

Well yes... you have shortened your chain...

When you have a triple, the chain is longer so middle front/big rear is fine...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if it looks like this

p4pb316997.jpg

it is fine.

sounds fine from what you say you have done.

in second
    p4pb232769.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • davildo
    Ah yes. That is a good point.
    Cheers everyone.
    I'll have another look tomorrow, as long as my shed hasn't been burnt down!
    If I'm still struggling I'll take a picture for your expert observations.
    Thanks again.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if it will go into the new big big combo and change out of it the chain is fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    That's the same sort of length as mine, rear derailleur really stretched out on the big big combination. It all works fine though. It might be worth taking a couple of links with you in your incase the chain snaps as you'll need to add a link/links in so that it isn't too short.
  • davildo
    Ok folks....
    I got home, took a picture of the derailleur stretched out horizontally and then went to take a picture of the chain length around the two big rings to show the two overlapping links. The chain didn't even reach and was two links short!!!
    In my excitement to get it all on, I obviously broke the chain wrong!! What a tit!
    So, I now have the chain the perfect length but it does have two powerlinks.
    Is this a problem or, as Chunkers says, is it ok to whack them in?
    Apologies for the cock-up and for your patience with such a buffoon.
    Cheers.
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    Remember the saying check twice cut once.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    2 powerlinks is absolutely fine.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • davildo
    Ok cheers.
    The even more embarrassing thing is that I did actually check twice.
    So in future, check at least three times, breathe, check again, cut once.
    Thanks all.
  • j4mesj4mes
    j4mesj4mes Posts: 138
    Just changed to a double and bash myself but yet to shorten the chain. Is the derailleur supposed to be on such an angle as in the pic?
  • davildo
    I've now sorted my change length and it is almost identical to the picture above.
    Everything is now running a treat.

Just a tip, but when you overlap the chain to cut it, make sure you cut the right bit!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    j4mesj4mes wrote:
    Just changed to a double and bash myself but yet to shorten the chain. Is the derailleur supposed to be on such an angle as in the pic?

When in big big, yes as has been said several times already!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.