is wobbly normal.

tiredout
tiredout Posts: 11
edited August 2011 in MTB general
sorry if this is a stupid question, but i need to know if its normal for my bike carriers to wobble.
Ive just bought some thule pro ride bike carriers and aero bars for my volvo v50 with roof rails, and when i put my spicy on it the aero bars flex when going over bumps making the bike wobble. The bike stays tightly fitted and seems secure but i would like to know if this flex is normal..
I normally transport my bikes in my van so this is new to me, so if its a stupid question sorry.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they wobble a bit. what is the bike weight?

and make sure the down tube is in the middle of the clamp.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    My 591s have a little side to side movement that causes noise when in transit, depending on the road surface.
    As Nick said, ensure the tube is in the centre of the clamp and tight. Also pull down hard on the rim straps too.
  • ellaspop
    ellaspop Posts: 18
    yeah, as said I also get some wobble but been like that for a couple of years without issue. The bikes stay tight as long as the clamp is secure (and locked!).
  • tiredout
    tiredout Posts: 11
    thanks for the replies, i thought they would be o.k. and should have a bit of side to side wobble but the missus made me worry by saying she had never seen any others move!.
    The spicy is about 15 kg and tall so probably makes matters worse, but the bars are rated up to 20kg so should be o.k.
    I have read a lot of reviews and heard its important to clamp the down tube in the middle of the clamp and lock it so have done this, but thanks for the advice.
    I just wanted to check incase i was missing somthing and they fell off and I looked a complete tw@t !!