New crankset/ sprocket - Langster?

Dalton
Dalton Posts: 265
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi,

My Langster currently has the standard Sugino Zen 42t crankset and 16t sprocket.

After nearly 2,000 miles, it has seen better days. I would like to upgrade to better drivetrain, with a higher gear also, As my commute is pretty much completely flat.

Any recommendations on what to go for?

ie. would I benefit more from having a smaller sprocket at rear - or larger ring at front (or both)?

:D

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    42:16 works out to 70.2 GI. If you have a flat commute then you can up it and get a faster commute. I would go for a bigger chainring as it opens up more options for fine-tuning your gear using different sized sprockets. Join the big ring posse.

I use 76" in a hilly area so maybe around 80" would work for you? To get that gearing, you'd need a 48T chainring. Perhaps an even higher gear is right for you? You might have "high torque legs" like LiT. With higher gearing you will be slower off the lights though, but your top speed would be higher.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Dalton
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have spent the time since I posted researching various Cranksets, think I have found a suitable one...

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b&vid=5507

The only thing is, according to my research, the bottom bracket on my Langster is 68x103mm square taper. The bottom bracket recommended for the above crankset is...

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s110p140

Which has a minimum size of 107mm. Will this fit my frame?

Also, I assume I will need a new chain to go with larger chain ring?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just buy a new chainring of the correct BCD, 130mm on my messenger chainset. Plenty more options and cheaper than a chainset.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Dalton
    redvee wrote:
    Just buy a new chainring of the correct BCD, 130mm on my messenger chainset. Plenty more options and cheaper than a chainset.

Thanks!

I have a habit of always finding the expensive way to solve a problem.

Plenty of chainrings on fleabay!

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Miche and Sugino make exellent chainsets. I run a Miche Primato Advanced (50T) with a Miche BB, and a White Industries ENO freewheel (16T). The ENO is expensive but utterly bombproof. I've run mine for around 3 years now, commuting pretty much 5 days a week all year round, it's still going strong and is fully rebuildable so should be cheaper in the long run.

There is an excellent GI calc here: http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/

Edit: I'd go for something between a 46 and 50. Leave the back as 16 if it's in good nick. Also prob time for a new chain, let the chainset and chain wear together. KMC do exceleent 1/8 inc SS chains - they are utterly bombproof.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/one-speed-chains-112-c.asp
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I thought the Langster Zen Messenger was 130 PCD rather than BCD. Don't know if that's a real difference or not but I noticed it when I was considering changing mine.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ta-130-pcd-shim ... ng-44-49t/

?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    The Sugino Zen is pretty robust. It shouldn't show significant wear after only 2,000 miles. I stripped and rebuilt a Langster recently (had terrible trouble finding replacement headset bearings) and the chainset was in great condition. It had done in excess of 10,000 miles.

Be wary of your chainline if you do change anything up front, especially BB width.

+1 for the White Industries freewheel. £70 seems expensive but they go for ever, have replaceable bearings and sound well cool.
  • Dalton
    dhope wrote:
    I thought the Langster Zen Messenger was 130 PCD rather than BCD. Don't know if that's a real difference or not but I noticed it when I was considering changing mine.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ta-130-pcd-shim ... ng-44-49t/

?

Checked mine before searching for chainrings, it states 130 BCD.
  • Dalton
    Miche and Sugino make exellent chainsets. I run a Miche Primato Advanced (50T) with a Miche BB, and a White Industries ENO freewheel (16T). The ENO is expensive but utterly bombproof. I've run mine for around 3 years now, commuting pretty much 5 days a week all year round, it's still going strong and is fully rebuildable so should be cheaper in the long run.

There is an excellent GI calc here: http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/

Edit: I'd go for something between a 46 and 50. Leave the back as 16 if it's in good nick. Also prob time for a new chain, let the chainset and chain wear together. KMC do exceleent 1/8 inc SS chains - they are utterly bombproof.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/one-speed-chains-112-c.asp

Thanks for the heads up on the freewheel, have added one to my eBay watch list.
  • Dalton
    After examining my Langster more thoroughly chain ring and free-wheel still look fine, just need a good clean up and lube.

I think my chain line might be slightly out of true, due to a recent rear wheel puncture and subsequent tyre change. Therefore that might be cause of noise, unless it is just the gunk!

Going to go for a larger chain-ring up front to give me higher gearing as bit to spinny with current set up. Also going for nice new chain to match.

Found a Sugino messenger chain ring in blue and a nice blue KMC chain to match!!

• il_principe
    Dalton wrote:
    After examining my Langster more thoroughly chain ring and free-wheel still look fine, just need a good clean up and lube.

I think my chain line might be slightly out of true, due to a recent rear wheel puncture and subsequent tyre change. Therefore that might be cause of noise, unless it is just the gunk!

Going to go for a larger chain-ring up front to give me higher gearing as bit to spinny with current set up. Also going for nice new chain to match.

Found a Sugino messenger chain ring in blue and a nice blue KMC chain to match!!

Tyre size doesn't effect Chainline

Otherwise sounds good!
  • Dalton

Otherwise sounds good!

No - I realise tyre size won't effect anything, what I mean't was - in my haste to change tube by the roadside after a puncture. I may not have put rear wheel back on completely straight!

• il_principe
    Dalton wrote:

Otherwise sounds good!

No - I realise tyre size won't effect anything, what I mean't was - in my haste to change tube by the roadside after a puncture. I may not have put rear wheel back on completely straight!

Heh. I did this, then realised but was too lazy. Ran it for months. Now that all is straight again I'm getting awful noises. It'll wear in eventually, but the noise shames me. :(
  • White Industries get another +1 from me. Bought mine from an eBay seller in the US for £50 not so long ago. Real quality piece of kit. The Shimano one which came with the bike left me stranded in the snow when it was -14 degrees this winter. I have no intention of trudging four miles to the bike shop again through a foot of snow. The White Industries free-wheel gives me a lot of reassurance in its abilities.
  • Dalton
    Right, have cleaned and lubed drivetrain thoroughly and free-wheel is still really noisy.

Wanted to remove it so I could try applying some grease, or failing that purchase a shiny new one to replace it!

However, I do not appear to have the correct tool to remove in my toolbox.

Am I correct in thinking I need one of these?

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... aign=Cycle

• redvee
    That tool looks to be the right one, it would remove Shimano freewheels no problem along with a 15" jussie, 12" jussie jaws don't open quite enough. Cost me another £12 for a 15" jussie unless you have access to a bench vice, unlike me.
  • Dalton
    redvee wrote:
    That tool looks to be the right one, it would remove Shimano freewheels no problem along with a 15" jussie, 12" jussie jaws don't open quite enough. Cost me another £12 for a 15" jussie unless you have access to a bench vice, unlike me.

Thanks!

Now just got to find one in stock from a 'trusted' supplier. Strangely neither Wiggle or Evans or CRC seem to stock this!?!

Yeah, I figured I would need a large adjustable, as I am not lucky enough to own a vice.

• redvee
  • Dalton
    Thanks for the suggestion, but object to paying £3.95 postage for one small item! Was browsing their site to see if I could purchase something else I needed to obtain free delivery (on orders over £20), but their site is very strangely laid out and they seem to stock bizarre range of goods.

:shock:
  • redvee