Coummting Bike Buying Advice

bails1310
bails1310 Posts: 361
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Work has now agreed to sign up and having spent the last 6 month reading abouts spec, geomitry, weight, I am no nearer making a decision, very confused so any comments on the below would be great:

Orbea Aqua T105
Cube Attempt
Cube Pelaton
Trek 2.1 / 2.3
BMC Street Racer SR02

Ive been commuting for the past 18 mths on a MTB with road tyres so have the bug, but not sure if the above will be wasted on a daily 16 mile commute [although I am thinking I should try and spend all of my £1k]

Usage will be commute, weekend [although a baby daughter will mean I cant be a fanatic just yet] and a sponsored cycle to Paris some point next year.
Would welcome comments or help.
Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Bugger! I'd written a long reply and the sodding Windows Update thingy shuts my PC down! :x

Anyhoo... :)

The Cube Attempt gets a very good review here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-43155/

The review ends with a comparison to the rides on a carbon frame, but the same applies to my alu frames compared to my carbon frame, and I love riding my alu frames, whether on the commute or longer training rides. Also, the impression I get is that the Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels are well regarded.

The BMC may have a lighter frame compared to the Orbea as it's triple-butted, as opposed to double-butted (like the Orbea), but they are similar weights, possibly due to the Orbea (just about) having lighter components.

Someone else has a similar dilemma to you:
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/forum/thre ... orbea-t105

Of the Treks, I prefer the 2.3 because it's 105 all the way through. I'm borrowing a Trek 1.2 at the moment and I find it fine to ride.

But, of the lot, I prefer the Orbea and the Cube.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."