Had a collision today

BDFun
BDFun Posts: 67
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Had a collision today with a car, ended up slamming into the rear end of a car. A few minor scratches on the bike, ripped grip tape, and both brake hoods bent inwards (which were easily moved back into place). The person's car had a nasty imprint of my handlebar and hoods.

At the time I insisted on taking down license plate, name, address, etc, but as none of us had a pen or paper we had to walk around for a while to find one. We eventually went into a shop to sort it out, and I forgot the obvious thing to note down which was the license plate of the car. I also forgot to take details of a witness who was behind me, saw everything, and agreed he had stopped suddenly which caused the accident. I guess I was a bit shaken at the time and wasn't thinking straight. Is contacting police or solicitors or someone a necessity after a collision with a car?

I'm concerned about any potential damage to my carbon forks on my Trek 1.2 2011 model. Does anyone know how you go about checking whether it is safe to ride?

I took it to an LBS and the guy had a look and couldn't see any obvious damage and heard no creaks. I'm not familiar with what checks he should have done, so I can't comment on whether it was sufficient or not.

Once I got home I tapped around it with a coin and couldn't hear anything ominous. Next while I was propped up on the bike against the wall, I bounced and pushed down on the forks which didn't produce any ominous sounds (aside from squealing of breaks).

Anything else I can do?

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    If you ran into the back of the car, it might be deemed your fault... You're supposed to give yourself some braking distance! However as I wasn't there I can't say for sure... As for the forks, I suppose with carbon there's no way of telling without an xray but that costs a fortune, you may have to just keep going and hope it's alright
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • BDFun
    BDFun Posts: 67
    If you ran into the back of the car, it might be deemed your fault... You're supposed to give yourself some braking distance! However as I wasn't there I can't say for sure... As for the forks, I suppose with carbon there's no way of telling without an xray but that costs a fortune, you may have to just keep going and hope it's alright

Yes true, I am not normally that close to cars. It began with him pulling out on me, I went alongside his car and gestured to him that he should look before pulling out. I dropped back to get behind his car and let him carry on driving, and a few seconds later he stopped dead despite their being no clear reason for it. Partially my fault for not dropping back far enough after being alongside him.
  • Sorry its not 'partially' your fault it is 100% your fault.

If he cut in front of you and slammed on maybe you would have a chance but you admit he was there for a while and you hadnt pulled back. If you were in a car it would be your fault so why would it be different on a bike.
  • Sorry its not 'partially' your fault it is 100% your fault.

If he cut in front of you and slammed on maybe you would have a chance but you admit he was there for a while and you hadnt pulled back. If you were in a car it would be your fault so why would it be different on a bike.

Yup, this. Good luck trying to convince your/his insurers that it was his fault you didn't leave sufficient braking distance.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    To be fair the OP never asked about, or suggested he was trying to claim from the driver, just asked how he'd check if his carbon forks were damaged
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    To be fair the OP never asked about, or suggested he was trying to claim from the driver, just asked how he'd check if his carbon forks were damaged

Actually, he also asked if he should contact a solicitor. To which the answer is 'don't bother, because it seems to have been your fault anyway'.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The driver pulled out on you, his bad, you set out to make an issue of it (it sounds) and stuck on his bootlid and couldn't stop, both of you were not using the road sensibly (if the brake test was deliberate)...he may be guilty of dangerous driving or without due care and attention, but in the case of any claim I doubt that would be enough to establish any liability on his behalf for you riding to close.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    If the guy in your LBS was ok with them then I guess they're ok. An additional check that you could do at home would be to take the wheel off and give the forks a bit of a squeeze - it'll be obvious if they're fucked...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Nulli
    Nulli Posts: 29
    An idication if carbon forks are damaged will be the cracking of paint.

Trek 7.5fx
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    carbon has a very bad second impact strength, so if they have been loaded to the max or even close to that can you trust them? and remeber if they do snap it will be a the worst possible time

a new pair of forks start from £60+

how much would a fork snap cost, just in teeth alone it's not worth taking the risk

never mind the brakes, wheel frame and bars
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    estampida wrote:
    carbon has a very bad second impact strength, so if they have been loaded to the max or even close to that can you trust them? and remeber if they do snap it will be a the worst possible time

a new pair of forks start from £60+

how much would a fork snap cost, just in teeth alone it's not worth taking the risk

never mind the brakes, wheel frame and bars

Or NEVER EVER have another crash, at least not front on...! :wink:
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Sorry its not 'partially' your fault it is 100% your fault.

Yup, this. Good luck trying to convince your/his insurers that it was his fault you didn't leave sufficient braking distance.

+1. Happened to me a few weeks ago. Car pulled out and I was closer than I should have been cos I was annoyed. Car went to turn left and then slammed on the brakes for dumbass peds. I clpped the rear corner with my shoulder and went down. Copper on the spot said 'From the way you describe it it sounds like your fault' which I had to grudgingly agree with. Ended up costing 140 quid for damage to the car (I got off lightly) and I have a broken hanger which is a PITA to get a replacement part for.

Chalk it down to experience.