Too dangerous to commute at the moment?

mrtuk
mrtuk Posts: 75
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
I've decided to stop doing any cycle commuting for a while due to the riots. Usual route would take me through a few of the impacted areas of SE London (tower bridge, bermondsy, greenwich, blackheath, kidbrooke, eltham etc). I think the am ride would be fine, but sometimes cycling home after 8pm, so thinking it's not a good idea at the moment.

Anyone else taking a break? or is the feeling that it's probably just as safe as public transport?

Comments

• My thinking is that I'll be able to hear trouble in advance and detour if I have to.

I refuse to let the little herberts dictate when I can/cannot ride to work!

Try not to cycle past too many phone shops/JD Sports.
  • It's not the rioters that I would worry about (they seem to be happy looting) - as long as you are commuting during the day.
    It's the state of the roads and the smashed glass that would be my concern at the moment.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I didn't ride home on Monday as I had to get back early. I got home and switched on the news, to see Rye Lane in Peckham ablaze at exactly the time I would have been riding through. I will try to get the bike home tonight...
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    After people were pulled from cars on my route home (through West Croydon) and others mugged in the street, I'm on the train until hostilities are definitely over. Yesterday I did use my bike, but when faced with a ride home I realised that I was actually scared. What if on one of the back roads I take I was faced by a group of ten 'looters', who decided they wanted my bike? What if violence suddenly broke out in one of the main shopping areas I pass? On top of that, the redirecting of traffic thanks to the problems led to more close shaves with cars than I've had in the last 12 months. Too many people driving along routes they aren't familiar with or trying to cut down back roads to get out of a jam and forgetting that they aren't the only people on the road.
  • "The only thing we have to fear is fear it'self "

get on your bike and enjoy your ride mrtuk. i ride through most of the areas of north london, hornsey, wood green, islington etc...worse case scenario, grab that heavy ass padlock that you've had to lugg for years and swing wildly lol.

in all seriousness, just go out and enjoy yourself mate. you'll be riding at speed anyway and if you reach a road your not comfy with just divert !
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Take a brolley and go jousting
  • Use the job centres for shelter if things go wrong. The scum will never dream of going there.
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I'm still riding in and home, but that's in Brum and along a wide and well-trafficked main road.

Does go through Aston though, and the reports of shots fired the other night are giving me pause....
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I'd rather be on the bike than risk getting the car petrol bombed...
    FCN 2 to 8