London: request to post troublespot warnings here

davmaggs
davmaggs Posts: 1,008
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Strikes me from other threads that there is demand for warnings of trouble hotspots so that commuters can change their routes before blundering into anything.

I ask that they be updates that you know for certain (e.g. personally been there) rather than Twitter rumors or a mate who knows a cousin who once heard etc etc.

I'll be going through Wandsworth, Clapham and Brixton so I'll post back later unless anyone knows anything already?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I know that Bank and Cornhill are fine.

S'all I can add right now.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Victoria to Richmond, via Kings Road and Putney Bridge all clear.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Photo's or it didn't happen.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    near last nites sites

see a vodafone or levis shop not on fire... thats going to be next
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Deptford -> Catford -> Lewisham clear! In fact, it was one of the best commutes I've ever had. Traffic really low, sun out, a few police here 'n there.
  • watchfire
    watchfire Posts: 174
    I just pedalled around fulham, chelsea, sloane sq, clapham and wandsworth. Only place that felt like it was soon to be trouble was Wandsworth, shedloads of police looking very anxious, all shops shut. For the moment any commute through those areas looks fine.
    My classifieds feedback thread for reference

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40046&t=12946446
  • watchfire
    watchfire Posts: 174
    I just pedalled around fulham, chelsea, sloane sq, clapham and wandsworth. Only place that felt like it was soon to be trouble was Wandsworth, shedloads of police looking very anxious, all shops shut. For the moment any commute through those areas looks fine.
    My classifieds feedback thread for reference

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40046&t=12946446
  • Victoria->Vauxhall->Stockwell->Brixton->Herne Hill->Dulwich was a lovely commute too around 5.30. Little traffic, few pedestrians - just quite a lot of police tape in Brixton still.
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    City -> Charlton. Direct.

Nothing happening. Very quiet traffic. Lots of shops closed though and Greenwich actually boarded over in many places.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Clapham junction, Wandsworth gyratory, Brixton (Ritzy), Loughborough junction are quiet.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    City > Farringdon > Blackfriers > Embankment > PS > CB > Lots Road > Wandsworth Bridge > Wandsworth > Garratt Lane > Plough Lane > Haydens Road > Raynes Park > Motspur Park > Home

All 100% clear no problems at all.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I did a very short run out to test new brakes and my compact from the top of shooters hill out to welling and back, saw some police (not a huge amount) but no groups of yobs
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I think everywhere is fine - so far - certainly on my commute home, Liverpool Street - London Bridge - Borough - Ele&Castle - Kennington - Oval - Stockwell - Clapham - Balham - Tooting - Colliers Wood and Wimbeldon all seemed fine. Shops were shut some boarded up police presence on some corners and old guys standing outside the closed betting shops/presumably to protect it but nothing. Oh there was one arrest in Tooting (highstreet) and the smell of smoke but that could have been a restaurant/chicken shop.

Too be honest it's a bit early (7pm daylight) and I think more pre-emptive action has been taken than actual action by looters (thus far).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    So you've all just panicked and knocked off early....

Pah!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Just leaving work now :evil:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • yep :)

old st, kings X, Camden, maidavale, Kilburn, cricklewood, west hendon, burnt oak, edgware all fine

bit like a ghost town in Kilburn and cricklewood, everything shut up shop. more police than usual - a noticable presence. All the car dealers on the Hyde at West Hendon have taken their toys indoors, nothing on the forecourts at all..
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Crikey! You lot make it sound like a war zone out there!
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Fulham - Westminster - Embankment - TowerHill - Whitechapel - Bow

All fine, lovely sunny evening. Twitter is full of crap today :)
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    Seeing the shops windows being boarded up around the corner makes it feel
    like a war zone! Commute was fine though blackfriars - embankment- clapham.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    NKR, Putney, Richmond Park, Wandsworth, Clapham Junction - all fine.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Very uneventful journey home from holborn to surbiton via north embankment, putney and richmond park. A lot of shops closed early - exchange in poutney was shut as was most of the high street. Plenty of employers allowed people to knock of early if they had concerns about getting home safely and plenty took advantage of the offer.
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    Best commute I've had since Diana died.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    FCN = 4
  • MTB-Idle wrote:

The trouble with the map is it makes the commute look like a TdF stage in the Puy de Dôme. Whereas most seem to have taken a sprinter's route home....

Still, it's good to know that people have been having smooth journeys home tonight.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Not really a suprise that all was quiet was it? If you were commuting at 11pm it might be a different story.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    Sketchley wrote:
    City > Farringdon > Blackfriers > Embankment > PS > CB > Lots Road > Wandsworth Bridge > Wandsworth > Garratt Lane > Plough Lane > Haydens Road > Raynes Park > Motspur Park > Home

All 100% clear no problems at all.

good ride! nice to meet you sir!

i ended up going down to southside too, and passed you as i was heading back - i did try and wave :P

clapham junction all quiet here at the moment..
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    condorman wrote:
    Best commute I've had since Diana died.

:lol:
  • Rode Barking to Hog Hill Cycle circuit for training last night, all good! Barking was like a ghost town.