Hope Floating Rotors - Loose Rivets

Stevo210
Stevo210 Posts: 196
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Having an issue with my rear Hope Floating Rotor, after a couple of months of use a rivet becomes loose and causing the disc to resonate with a tingle (poor description).
Ive had it replaced from Hope no issues, same thing happened again, so thinking it was my fault (bike not rotor) I had the rear wheel trued and the dishing checked. All was in order, fitted a new rotor and a couple of weeks of use and the disc rivets are loose again.
Am I missing something or doing something wrong or do discs just go like this in such a short time.
My front disc has been perfectly fine since fitted, the rear brake works fine, but it constantly resonates and rattles while riding along :(
Opinions welcome.

Front
http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o465 ... =FRONT.mp4
Rear
http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o465 ... t=BACK.mp4

Comments

• common problem by all accounts
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes they do that. they have to have some movement.

but it sounds like you have a bit to much.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stevo210
    edited August 2011
    On my third disc now, maybe headphones would be a solution. Hope have just replaced them no question, if its normal would they keep replacing them?

Just seems odd that the larger from is perfectly fine for months.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Not had any problems with mine for over 4 years. 205mm front, 180 rear.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Stevo210
    180 Front 160 Rear
  • HandjobDan
    HandjobDan Posts: 704
    Another 203 F and 183 R user no issues for over a year. Must be something to do with the smaller size maybe?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It happens. Best solution is to use a non-floating rotor.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    edited August 2011
    Floating rotors.... Can someone explain what the point is?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No.
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    benpinnick wrote:
    Floating rotors.... Can someone explain what the point is?

to allow for metal expansion under heavy braking
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    johnsav wrote:
    to allow for metal expansion under heavy braking

Allegedly. Actually to sell expensive rotors to the easily impressed.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    The inner can be less strong but lighter and better heat conducting metal than the actual braking disk, Plus they look good

My 180/160 have been on for 4 years with no probs at all, the 160/140 that were on for the year before that were fine
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • nicklouse
    madmole wrote:
    The inner can be less strong but lighter and better heat conducting metal than the actual braking disk, Plus they look good

most of that is not correct.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • benpinnick
    madmole wrote:

My 180/160 have been on for 4 years with no probs at all, the 160/140 that were on for the year before that were fine

And the flaoting bit is for?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    braking on.
  • benpinnick
    Lol.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    The steel braking surface can expand and contract freely, and be desgned for braking grip and durability, The inner can then be designed out of a different material with regards to weight, heat transfer, aerodynamics or looks (not saying that Hopes rotors actually do any of these)

The float is the ability of the outer to move a little on the inner to accomadate differential expansion but still transfer the rotational braking forces to the hub and hence via the spokes to the rim/tyre
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!