My legs are dead and its all your fault

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
After suggestions on hear I popped to the gym this morning and tried one of the foam rollers to stretch my legs, as recommended by the sadists on here. A quick bit of instruction from one of the, er, instructors and I was away. Hamstrings were fine. Quads weren't as good but were OK with a few pain points to work on.

Then I tried my ITB (i.e. the outside of my thighs). Ohmygodthatwasaworldofpain! I couldn't put full weight on the rollers anywhere below mid-thigh without swear words emanating from my mouth. It was so bad that I had to give up and 2 hours later and I'm still in pain.

Hopefully I'll have recovered enough to cycle home later, but I've come to the realisation that I'm probably going to have to do this every day :cry:
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If it hurts that bad then the best thing you can do is buy a roller and keep doing it on a regular basis. The pain shouldn't impact on your cycling, it's like DOMS in that respect.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    lay on your back, with feet on ground but knees raised. put one foot on opposite thigh above knee. reach and grab with both hands the top of your shin / just below knee. Pull - and hold... and hold... and choke back tears... and hold.
  • asprilla
    lay on your back, with feet on ground but knees raised. put one foot on opposite thigh above knee. reach and grab with both hands the top of your shin / just below knee. Pull - and hold... and hold... and choke back tears... and hold.

That's the stretch I have to do to avoid the 'wallet syndrome' i mentioned in the other thread.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Asprilla wrote:

That's the stretch I have to do to avoid the 'wallet syndrome' i mentioned in the other thread.

Wallet Syndrome?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Think my missus has that
  • asprilla
    notsoblue wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Wallet Syndrome?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_syndrome

If I a long time without stretching it can feel as if I'm sitting on my wallet all the time. Quick stretch of the glutes and it's gone.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • You went to a gym when you could have been riding your bike, so no sympathy here.
  • Wrath Rob
    LOL. Gym is where I shower when I get to work in the morning. Very handy for inflicting additional pain on myself
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Then I tried my ITB (i.e. the outside of my thighs). Ohmygodthatwasaworldofpain! I couldn't put full weight on the rollers anywhere below mid-thigh without swear words emanating from my mouth. It was so bad that I had to give up and 2 hours later and I'm still in pain.

Hopefully I'll have recovered enough to cycle home later, but I've come to the realisation that I'm probably going to have to do this every day :cry:
    I had my ITB stretched by a professional a few years ago. After a few seconds of agony I explained I was going to have to scream if she continued. She said "scream then" so I had to. It only took a about 10 seconds but the sweat was pouring off me from the pain. Then she did it again and I screamed again.
    Did the trick.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Hmmm, can thou explain this roller technique? I have more of a problem with the inner set but this sounds fun ;)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • asprilla
    Hmmm, can thou explain this roller technique? I have more of a problem with the inner set but this sounds fun ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aJtO0VCqw
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Cheers, should have really done that myself but i'm terribly lazy at times... :D

Problem with fucked hips is I can't do many normal stretches - can't rotate the joint to get purchase etc. Might try that though.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I bought a roller back in March when I was having trouble with my IT (and I don't mean my laptop!) during marathon training. Excrutiating pain in the lower thigh by the knee when I was using it, but it did help.
  • Wrath Rob wrote:
    one of the foam rollers to stretch my legs, as recommended by the sadists on here.

Looks innocent :twisted:

But it's good pain... as my gym instructor used to say... :?
  • Wrath Rob
    Day 2. Legs were better on the roller this morning, though I was still in a lot of pain when rolling the sides on my quads, especially near the knee. I've ordered a roller from Amazon so will be able to torture myself at home too