Tricross owners, can you help ...

Specialized Needs
Specialized Needs Posts: 802
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
A quick question:

Do you know the stock crank length for the 2010 Tricross triple?

I want to order a replacement set today (need it for Friday) and my bike is at home. I'd like to replace like-for-like as I am used to the current setup.

I bent my middle chainring changing down and it is now continually trying to change off the middle ring. But looking at the prices I may as well get a whole replacement crankset as just a single ring - it looks like I have to take the cranks off anyhow to get at the middle ring properly - well, I couldn't thread it out last night, anyhow, when I was trying to bend it back.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Depends on frame size (from specialized website) 49/52 is 170mm 54/56 is 172.5mm and 58/61 is 175mm
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Well, I've done some digging.

The 2010 UK Specialized siteisn't very helpful, but the 2009 oneis. I will have to assume that the set up is the same (it is the same crankset listed).

For future reference if anyone searches, it seems it depends on the frame size. 172.5mm cranks on the 54cm frame; 170mm below that; and 175mm above.
  • Aaargh - thanks Wallace. Just beat me to it :)

CRC here I come. Hopefully they'll get to me tomorrow...
  • Hmmm. I've a 56cm, and that's 2 different sizes :/

Still, hopefully 2.5mm won't be too much of a risk.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You wait until you need to replace the BB and THEN you'll have fun - the Specialized site gives the wrong size

(check the existing one for a label that tells you)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • You wait until you need to replace the BB and THEN you'll have fun - the Specialized site gives the wrong size

I did contemplate swapping it all. Glad I didn't, now!
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Well, I've done some digging.

The 2010 UK Specialized siteisn't very helpful, but the 2009 oneis. I will have to assume that the set up is the same (it is the same crankset listed).

For future reference if anyone searches, it seems it depends on the frame size. 172.5mm cranks on the 54cm frame; 170mm below that; and 175mm above.

Just thought I'd say I have a 54cm Allez sport 2011 and despite what the Specialized website says my bike has 170mm cranks, not 172.5mm. So if anyone is replacing the cranks on 54cm spesh it might be worth checking the inside of the crank arm, next to where the pedal axle screws in to see how long they are.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Noticed the same with my Allez, thought I'd been spinning 170mm cranks for the last year but looking last night I'm pedalling 172.5mm on a 56cm frame, silver 08 model.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • You wait until you need to replace the BB and THEN you'll have fun - the Specialized site gives the wrong size

that's alright just after i got mine it started to take it's self out. cups on the none crank side came undone
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    A quick question:

Get a rule and measure the one you've got.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Clank wrote:
    A quick question:

Get a rule and measure the one you've got.
    I would have done.

Had I not:
    1) been at work;
    2) with my bike at home; and
    3) wanting to order quickly.

(I didn't measure it originally as I intended just getting a replacement chainring - but seeing the prices, it was only marginally more to get the whole crankset).
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    (I didn't measure it originally as I intended just getting a replacement chainring - but seeing the prices, it was only marginally more to get the whole crankset).

Are you sure?? I would have thought you could pick up a chainring for about £20 to £30?
    <a>road</a>
  • (I didn't measure it originally as I intended just getting a replacement chainring - but seeing the prices, it was only marginally more to get the whole crankset).

Are you sure?? I would have thought you could pick up a chainring for about £20 to £30?
    £31.99 for the one I need (39T/130BCD/5 bolt), £39 for a replacement crankset. Admittedly not the same make - I'll probably find it's made of butter :roll:
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    you can get in titanium for £15!!

mmmm titanium *homer drool*
    <a>road</a>
  • you can get in titanium for £15!!

linky?
  • you can get in titanium for £15!!

linky?
    Doh! Sorry - blind moment. See it.

That wasn't there yesterday :(

ETA: I think that is the colour, not the material.

Still, it wasn't there when I was looking for it yesterday. After a couple of days commuting it'll be the same colour as the rest of the moving parts on my bike...

I might get that.