XC Race Tyres

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited August 2011 in MTB general
I've just done my first XC race, and it left me wondering if my tyres were good for the job.

On the looser, drier ground cover on the forest sections the front wheel kept trying to wash out. That might have been to do with my lack of technical ability (experience) or the tyres.

I used Panracer Fire XC 2.1's at around 35psi. I guess these are more of a wet recreational tyre than a dry racing tyre?

Which begs the question, if you could have 2 sets of XC race tyres, simply a set for wet and a set for dry, what would you go for?

I've got a set of new 1.95 kevlar WTB ExiWolf tyres - would these fit the bill for dry?

How much difference to spend does a narrower tyre make?

Thanks!

Comments

• Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    i would go for narrow tyres in the mud and wide tires in the dry;
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There's so many different types of mud it's hard to recommend, I've got 3 sets of tyres I only use when it's wet, plus others that are perfectly capable!

The big problem with Fire XCs for racing is their weight IMO, 580g each, that and they've got no grip, but that's personal!

I'd say a set of Rocket Rons and a set of Dirty Dans would cover most options. Rons are fast, light, and good in sloppy mud. Dans are better if it's thicker mud, but still pretty light.

Mud Xs are excellent mud tyres, but are heavier and slower than the Schwalbes, I try and avoid racing on mine.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    schwalbe tryres are nice but so are conti Mountain kings 2.0 black Chile compound .
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    I have been Racing on Panaracer Fire XC pro 2.1's for the last 2 races. I have been thinking about tyres alot recently and cant make my mind up lol.
    The Panaracers have served me well over the years with there good puncture and side wall protection and to be honest i personally think they are a light tyre considering this and also the aggressive tread.
    Not had any problems with grip be it dry, wet or mud and just seem to be a good all rounder.
    Now, i run with tubes (super light ones 90g) and in most cases these coupled with the tyres are still lighter that most UST tyres. I put a drop of sealant into each tube to help prolong the tyre going flat should i get a puncture and in all honesty that seems to work well. I do have a few sets of wheels but only one lightweight race set so going tubeless would be a pain in the 4rse should i need to change the tyres around for different conditions.

But, i cant get it out of my head how slow these tyres could be comared to the likes Schwalbes and Conti tyres plus changing to the likes of Rocket Ron's could possibly save around 300g in weight!
    If i did change to Ron's or Ralph's i would still be using tubes but what worries me is there puncture and side wall protection. Most race courses are well thought out and dont generally have thorns laying around everywhere but its still an issue i fear as a puncture can seriously effect your race position.

Continental X Kings race sport black chilli compound also look good with better punture and side wall protection than Ron's and Ralph's but you pay the penalty in weight but would still be lighter than the Xc Pro's.

Trial and error i suppose and only trying them will tell. Maybe get a pair before next race to see what they are like but then again buying these so late in the year seems silly.
    Would prob need to put the Ron's on the race wheels and use them purely for racing because if i use them for training i would def get alot of puctures and wear them out really quickly.
  • njee20
    Easy solution... Go tubeless. Schwalbe's work fantastically, I use normal tyres converted to tubeless, they go up with a track pump and stay up perfectly. A splash of sealant and you'll still be looking at more than 300g saved!
  • milese
    Any more info (or links) of the benefits and costs of going tubeless? Is it a pain in the arse?

I've got Mavic XC717 rims if that makes any odds...

I'm always really bad at choosing tyres, so please bare with me.

Acknowledging that it is unlikely for a course to be completely wet, or completely dry (and not wanting to spend more than I have to!), would I do well with a single tyre, like the Conti X King in a 2.2?

The Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph EVO's are both on sale for £20 each, what conditions are they both best suited for, and would either fullfill my 'best of both' or wet category well if I also plumped for the Race Kings? 2.25's the way to go?

Would I regret the 2.2 Race King as soon as it got a bit wet?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    For what it's worth my choice is:-

All Maxxis

Dry/fire road: Flyweight 330 (not tried yet, next weekend)
    Dry off road:Aspen Front, Crossmark Rear
    Wet off road: ADvantage F, High Roller R
    Mud: Bonty Mud X

The dry tyres do really well if there is a sudden rain storm/mud patch and they re goo on the rocks of dartmoor/North Wales

That said EVERYONE in Holland uses Schwalbe tyres, they re pretty much the only available choice (not sure which is the chicken and which the egg though)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • njee20
    I've got Mavic XC717 rims if that makes any odds...

They're not the easiest to convert, but it can be done.

Rons are fine as a '3 season' tyre and it depends on your mud, I've done some incredibly muddy races (in fact the muddiest I can remember) on Rons without problems, but that was wet sloppy mud. If you have sticky mud they're rubbish.

Ralphs are slightly less capable IMO, they've got a little more on the sides, so they still corner ok in the slop, but they're less aggressive in the middle, so I find they spin far more readily if it's wet. They are slightly tougher though, I generally use Ralphs when it's rocky.

I don't see why you'd get Race Kings as well. If you want a wet tyre to go with the Race King, get Dirty Dans, otherwise just get Race Kings, Ralphs or Rons.
  • milese
    Thanks again for replies.

I've ordered some Supersonic Conti Race Kings. If I'm understanding rightly these will be good for all conditions except 'very muddy', when I'd need a dedicated mud tyre, like the Dirty Dans.

I've just seen these on special if it helps anyone - £15 for Rocket Ron Evo's 2.25.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYSCRRONEVO ... dium=email