Can anyone tell me anything about this bike?

mossychops
mossychops Posts: 262
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Was driving home tonight and saw this leaning up against a skip. Knew the missus would like it and she's been after something retro for a while - quick word with the house owner and he's throwing it away - so I've had it.

Needs new tyres and tubes (maybe wheels too, as they are flaking) but the actual bike is in quite good condition, everything still lubed and freely moving, brakes work.

Can anyone tell me anything about it? Wheel size would be the most useful. Guy says he brought it back from Italy 35 years ago for his wife, any other info would be interesting.

2011-08-08%25252020.48.27.jpg

Comments

• mossychops wrote:
    Wheel size would be the most useful.

Print on side of tyre should be the giveaway? No?

Sort that dodgy saddle out and it's quite a pretty bike really.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mossychops wrote:
    Wheel size would be the most useful.

Print on side of tyre should be the giveaway? No?

Sort that dodgy saddle out and it's quite a pretty bike really.

if not look on Sheldons pages for the actual measurements.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    High end Campagnolo clearly :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mossychops
    Lol, so you would think. No visible writing on the tyre wall.

I think it's quite nice too. Quick polish of the chrome and a service and should be a nice bike.
  • mossychops wrote:
    Can anyone tell me anything about this bike?

Well it is very pink......

.... and I see it is a Record.

According to my grandad, Records were very popular in his day....

..... until they were replaced by CDs

I'm not helping much here am I?

Though I'm a fan of retro bikes, I can't say this is doing it for me. I do hope that you can breath some life back into her though. Good luck
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    its pink?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    According to my grandad, Records were very popular in his day....
    That would make the round bits 7" (single) or 12" (LP) I guess......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yep and apparently you should pedal at 78rpm..
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • zenistar
    zenistar Posts: 75
    Looks very similar to my wife's bike, which is also around 30 years old and is likely either French or Italian. No idea on the wheel size though.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • It is a very old bike, probably dating from before the bloke brought it back from Italy 35 years ago, but I can see the point of having a go restoring it, as it has the potential to be a very pretty little ladybike hack for short journeys where there are no hills. Practical for the shopping too, with those front and rear carriers.

I would worry a bit about the brakes, though. Standards, and with them the expectations of other road users, have risen considerably since this bike was built, and given it's weight your missus may find it a bit of a beast to stop, especially with those steel-rimmed wheels in the wet. The sort of shop that sells 'Dutch' bikes may be able to help with suitable modern wheels. As Essex says, the wheel and tyre size should be printed on the sidewall of the tyre; it in doubt, take the front wheel off and show the guy in the shop.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    It looks similar in size to a puch calypso my mrs has of a similar vintage- that has 24" X 1 3/8th tyre size - which are reasonable OK to get hold of with a bit of Googling, not least because NHS wheel chairs take that size too.

condition looks OK - paintwork is better than your garage door
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mossychops
    (nearly) All useful info, thanks guys.

That's Docking Bay 94's Cammo Door "no greater chance of nice bikes in here than any other garage" it says. Those ground anchor/locks in the bottom corners you can just spot are quietly whistling and looking the other way too. :P

I will be making sure the brakes work very well, they are ok so far, will have new cables, pads and probably new wheels too. I will be testing it thouroughly myself before giving it to my missus. The bike is actually pretty light, I was surprised.

The main idea being for a few quid it can be used for cycling round the park and maybe a trip to the shops before buying an expensive bike in case it sits in the garage. She really wants a bike and I'm not 100% she will use it. I've already told her she's weak and got no chance of keeping up with me 8)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mossychops wrote:
    Those ground anchor/locks in the bottom corners you can just spot are quietly whistling and looking the other way too. :P
    I'd be cammoing them with some rust coloured brown paint!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.