Training Advice/ books

Paulkingk
Paulkingk Posts: 689
edited August 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Hi guys I have just completed my second race and with out any specific training other than my normal riding, which is between 60 to 100 miles a week, 30 miles commuting and the rest just going out for a thrash. To my surprise I placed 5th and 4th respectively :lol: and now really want to push on and see what I can do. I'm 29 and currently ride a Trek Fuel ex which isn't really a cross country bike but If I can keep improving on my riding for the end of this season and through the winter series I might replace the bike with a light weight xc bike and try to take on the longer races with the big boys :shock: but for now I want to work on my fitness and see if I can hit a podium on the trail bike but i'm not really sure where to start.

So any good reading or websites that might help please let me know.

Sorry for the long post :oops:

Comments

• What races (distance/discipline) did you enter? Also, what cat were you in? All of that will obviously effect what training you do :O)

I've a Trek Top Fuel 9, which is great for enduro stuff, but for shorter stuff I would seriously consider a hard tail (unfortunatly i'm a one bike warrior so have to get the best of both worlds out of my bike).
    Road: Bianchi Cento Strade C2C
    MTB: Trek Top Fuel 9
    Other: TBD....
  • Paulkingk
    Mud Sweat and gears, 1hr male cross country races at the moment, I was about 40 sec off the top three last time, and there is only one race left in about 5 weeks, However I want to get training for the winter series in Thetford too, these are 2hr races which is what I am really wanting to train for. think I would have to sell my Trek to fund an XC bike to be honest
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Hi there, I think I may have been introduced to you on Sunday. (Skeleton jersey, white lid)

I don't know how much time you want to comit but.

If you want to do three structured days a week:

Do a Race tempo session, best to do on a Saturday after a rest day. Basically ride flat out for about 125% of the length of your race or as long as time allows around a circuit. Monitor your times, but remember to factor in other variables.

A long ride, best to be done on a sunday. 3 hours plus, take it easy, ride at a nice steady tempo, don't be afraid to spin up the climbs.

Finally do some intervals. These hurt. For this time of year pyramid intervals are the best. The idea is to sustain the fast pace you can for the length of the interval.

Example Pyramid Session

1x4 min, 1x2min, 2x1min, 4x30 secs, 2x1 min, 1x2min, 1x4 min. Make sure you've had a rest day prior to this.

If you're willing to add a 4th day make it a moderate intensity ride for at least an hour and half.

And a 5th day add a gym session, working on the core and legs or alternatively find a two minite hill and ride it flat out between 4 and 8 times.

Oh and I find 'Mountain Bike Fitness Training' by John Matcalfe to be very useful. although there are entire chapters that you can miss out.
  • Paulkingk
    Ah yes, You were with John who won his category.Thanks for taking the time to reply that's really handy stuff i'll have to have a quick look for that book. I already do a 1hr 20min ish ride a week at full pace and a 2hr 30min ride so I have some of it covered, looks like I just need to squeeze in some of these pyramid intervals you talk of, will be tricky squeezing it round 2 jobs but I have really enjoyed racing so will try to make this happen. what race did you do and how did you get on? will you be at the last race?
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Yeah I was with John, I do the youth cat, and did rather badly this time (got 3rd) although I had the tail end of a cold and mechanical issues to deal with. John and I are pretty similar in pace usually.

I can't really give any anecdotal advice toward training but I've done a lot of reading into it.

Fortunately the intervals don't take long, but make sure you do a thorough warm up, 5-10 minutes when you gradually increase the intensity till the lactate just starts kick in and hold to get your body breaking it down sufficiently. Then go for the first interval. it's a 45 min job really. oh and may I add, you should rest for the same length of the interval in-between or until you feel recovered. In a few weeks just up the numbers of the intervals or make them a little longer e.g. 5 min instead of 4, 3 instead of 2, 1.30 instead of 1 etc.

And yep I'll be at Langdon.