Dragon Ride 2012

bendertherobot
bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
So, Margam Park. Interesting, though I suspect that means the Bwlch ascent (2) at the "start" more or less. Hopefully they will have learned from this year's "doing it twice" and won't do that.

As an aside the Rhigos and Bwlch are dreadful at the moment. Both have been resurfaced but work appears to have stopped and the old potted surface is not a "smooth" gravel strewn bumpy surface.
My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
Facebook? No. Just say no.

Comments

• derek48
    derek48 Posts: 67
    After this year's awful experience, ther's very little that they can do to tempt me back again.
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    to be fair

they have listened and addressed each of the complaints levelled at 2011 (I was there). Will be interesting to see if it goes well and fixes the issues as it has great potential.

I won't be going in 2012 but thats more because I'm looking at a few further afield events.

Bet it sells out in 20 mins again!
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • derek48
    I've done four Dragons, but the problem is that exactly the same complaints regarding toilets, car parking and feed stops were made after each one, and nothing changed.
    I'm sure it will sell out again and I reallly hope they have nailed the problems this time, but I've given up. There is so much better riding in Wales, like the Iron Mountain and Tour of the Black Mountains.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Same old empty promises I reckon. Like Derek48 I've had it with the Dragon and will be trying some of the other Welsh events next year. I agree that despite the issues there'll be no shortage of fresh meat for next years Dragon.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Done it a couple of times before, inc. this year and although I agree there's lot to improve I'm planning to ride again in 2012, not least because there's probably not many other options that weekend :p My only real gripe this year was waiting over 1.5 hours in the queue to start, and the lack of sun I guess - I'll settle for them just fixing the start queue issue though.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Everyone I know who rode it this year will not be returning.
  • friso
    friso Posts: 107
    Hi

I have riden both this years event and lasts and although i know there were a lot of unhappy cyclists i didn't expierience any issues either at the start, at feed stops or at the end

By reading all the complaints i was very lucky to escape these issues and have no dought that there were issues aplenty

I got to the start early enough to be away in the first few groups, this was the key i believe to a good day as the feed stops where fully stocked and the feed stop helpers where extremely helpful to a point of either holding your bike or even taking your bottle from you and filling it up for you, that was great service

Obviously not everyone can leave the start early but i would recommend getting to the start at least an hour before the off

Having said that i did have a nightmare at the Cheshire Cat this year with similar issues of waiting hours at the start and worse of all waiting hours to collect the meal and medals

I will be there next year, nice and early
  • derek48
    Yes, but if everyone does this it simply pushes the start problem earlier and earlier. Do you want to get to the start area two hours before the off next year? The issue is that they have simply got too big and they cannot get that number of riders on the road in a reasonable time unless they start in much bigger groups like the Etape. Bigger is not better.
  • The Dartmoor classic is a reasonable-sized sportive and they seem to have all the organisation sorted. If the Dragon really wants to improve, you will know next year. If nothing changes, then in my opinion, the organisers either don't care, or can't do it.
    “I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.”

http://mendiprouleur.blogspot.com/
  • I rode the Dragon Ride a few years back as my first 100 mile sportive and even though I enjoyed the route I would never return due to them running out completely of food and water at the feed stations and I wasn't the last to get there!. We had to stop at a local Spar shop to get liquid and food supplies. Also coming across the finish line was very non event feeling. I've since done a number of Sportives and yes the Dartmoor Classic now running in June is an excellent ride and such a contrast in organisation.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I know a few people that have done this and they aren't coming back again.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • +1 for not going back in 2012 (due to timing issue and too easy route for the medio), probably ride the Magnificat instead as it's closer to home.

Be interesting to read the feedback after the 2012 event.
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    The Dragon Ride is living proof that for sure bigger isn't always better. :oops:
  • Krys
    Krys Posts: 51
    I only did it this year because they claimed to have learnt from the year before. Yeah, right.

(I know you've already read it - but in case anyone doesn't know how cross I was about it - http://www.thecyclingmayor.com/?p=1925).

Unsurprisingly I'm not doing it again. Mainly because of the attitude they have shown towards their unhappy customers - no personal contact, no acceptance of responsibility, and no apologies. I hope people vote with their feet and don't do it next year.

If you want a big hilly large ride - do the Dartmoor Classic - it rocked :)
  • bendertherobot
    I've just sent the organisers an email. Basically the Bwlch and Rhigos have just had what's known as a "surface dressing," i.e. the economic but useless (for cyclists) road surface. Personally, at this moment, those two mountains are rideable with slow speeds and great care. I cannot see how they will improve the surfaces by next summer.
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    You can guarantee that they will also be increasing the price of entry. It is inevitable.

They are all becoming too steep for me :( . It's okay for dentist Pinarello Riders. So it looks like audaxes for me.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    I've just sent the organisers an email. Basically the Bwlch and Rhigos have just had what's known as a "surface dressing," i.e. the economic but useless (for cyclists) road surface. Personally, at this moment, those two mountains are rideable with slow speeds and great care. I cannot see how they will improve the surfaces by next summer.

That's very disappointing - even from a training point of view. Those descents are really good for speed, wide and open, as the surface was quite reasonable, but I don't fancy it on loose gravel.
  • bendertherobot
    GeorgeShaw wrote:

That's very disappointing - even from a training point of view. Those descents are really good for speed, wide and open, as the surface was quite reasonable, but I don't fancy it on loose gravel.

They will sweep it, by all accounts, and it will settle, but confirmed as no resurfacing.

So now look out for the indented potholes that have been relined and are camouflaged against the road surface.
  • I agree with the majority of comments on here. I have done this ride twice now, 2010 (should have learnt my lesson then) and this year. It is just a pile of SHITE.
    There are far better other Sportives worthy of your entry....stay well clear of the Dragon is my advice.
  • Having had no meaningful response from the organisers I wrote to Wiggle and told them I wouldn't be buying any more Wiggle products in protest. Having checked their website they still seem to be trading.
  • Krys
    Krys Posts: 51
    Well if everyone who does it in 2012 comes out with rave reviews of the course and the organisation, maybe I'll do it the following year...but I won't be holding my breath.
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    The 2012 route will be harder than in previous years. In fact, I think it will be considerably more difficult. The route to devils elbow is always a challenge and coming after the bwlch and rhigos climbs it will be a test for a lot of riders, as will the switch back at the bottom of Cray. There are a lot of climbs in the middle section which are all quite close together.

Adding in Black Mountain is welcome, but it comes a fair way from the end, so the run in to the finish will be a lot longer and flatter (except Cimla but that is only a little lump), I actually think the route is an exciting one. I did a very similar route earlier this year riding solo and found it to be very challenging, even though I ride in the area most weekends and am used to the ascents. There are a number of steep sections as well as long drags..

I doubt they will fix the problems of previous years and whilst Margam is a larger place, many of the complaints seem to happen year after year. If I do it, I will go prepared as I think the route will probably balance out any issues at the start.
  • Grifteruk wrote:
    The 2012 route will be harder than in previous years. In fact, I think it will be considerably more difficult. The route to devils elbow is always a challenge and coming after the bwlch and rhigos climbs it will be a test for a lot of riders, as will the switch back at the bottom of Cray. There are a lot of climbs in the middle section which are all quite close together.

Adding in Black Mountain is welcome, but it comes a fair way from the end, so the run in to the finish will be a lot longer and flatter (except Cimla but that is only a little lump), I actually think the route is an exciting one. I did a very similar route earlier this year riding solo and found it to be very challenging, even though I ride in the area most weekends and am used to the ascents. There are a number of steep sections as well as long drags..

I doubt they will fix the problems of previous years and whilst Margam is a larger place, many of the complaints seem to happen year after year. If I do it, I will go prepared as I think the route will probably balance out any issues at the start.

I think you might be reading the route back to front. Rhigos and Bwlch are at the end next year, being climbed in a different direction.

I didn't do it this year because the route looked uninspiring (after doing it in 09 and 10). This looks much more interesting.