Deep Tissue Massages

hfidgen
hfidgen Posts: 340
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
So... apparently i have a tight "soa major" in my right hand side, along with various others of my leg and core back muscles. The effect of all this is that I have mild chronic backache and a 3-4 session course of deep tissue massage is in order.

Sounds great, especially as the physio is a hot blonde polish lady, but after about 45 seconds I was in agony and swearing my arse off at her. It was like something out of a horror movie but without the blood - she was practically hand deep in my body ripping at muscles and rubbing them up and down.

Sheer f-ing Agony.

There's more than enough innuendo there for this forum, but my more serious point was that apparently these muscle groups are common complaints for cyclists and I was wondering whether anyone has experienced similar back or musculature problems from cycling and if there are any tips to better avoid being beaten up evil blondes of an afternoon?
FCN 4 - BMC CX02

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    The wife gave me a choice last night "leg massage or back". I foolishly chose the legs and was in agony for the duration. Any chance of hanky panky went out the window and I cried my self to sleep.

The legs felt great this morning though!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I had a physio who used to search out tight spots in my legs and then use her elbow to hit the spot and get it to release. It was pure agony and had my leg shaking like a sh***** dog, but once the knot was released the quads felt great
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • I've got a foam roller and after a longish ride (and at the end of the week), I 'roll' my leg and back muscles. It hurts but less so than being tortured by a masseuse...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I occasionally get 'wallet syndrome' which is when you feel you are sitting on your wallet but you aren't. A bit of stretching sees it alright but I occasionally go for a bit of deep tissue on my glutes, hams and calves.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I went to see a Japanese healer called Suzuki in Acton as I had a sore shoulder and back. Before I even told him what was wrong he had identified the problem and prodded every area that 'should hurt'. And they did. He then did his stuff and prodded the same areas again, nowhere near as painful. However, I do need to go to see him twice a week for a few weeks to get it sorted once and for all, so in a month or so when I sell a flat and cashflow isn't dreadful he will be healing me. It's bizarre, but all my missus' family have been to see him and he cures them every time.

He's an ex Tae Kwondo Olympian.