Not overtaken this morning

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Aside from two instances of people edging ahead of me at RLs, I was not overtaken once this morning on my 13 mile journey in. Usually I get overtaken loads, so all the hairy roadies must have been having a lie-in this morning.

I may add that those 2 instances of people edging ahead were swiftly countered when the lights changed. In fact it was a bit of a landmark ride in all senses as I saw not one instance of RLJing either, usually it's at most lights when some idiot does it.

Mind you, I realised that I hadn't been overtaken whilst in Richmond Park, just into the second half of my journey, so from that moment on I was like a demon, anyone who came near forced me to up my game. Knackered when I got in!

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Maybe the RLJ'ing hairy roadies that usually pass you needed a lie in because they were busy last night and are planning another "shift" tonight? :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • joelsim
    edited August 2011
    Or having their legs waxed?

The Roehampton Gate to New Kings Road shift was a fast one this morning.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    daviesee wrote:
    Maybe the RLJ'ing hairy roadies that usually pass you needed a lie in because they were busy last night and are planning another "shift" tonight? :twisted:

One most certainly does not riot in Cobham, though if provoked one may dash off a letter to The Telegraph.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • joelsim
    Thankfully The Telegraph isn't for me. I can't read.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I had a guy in a Land Rover cut me up to park in a child and baby space at Waitrose in Cobham - he and his teenage daughter skipped out and left me to fend with minimal door swing space and a baby to extract; that nearly provoked a full on riot I can tell ya.
  • asprilla
    I had a guy in a Land Rover cut me up to park in a child and baby space at Waitrose in Cobham - he and his teenage daughter skipped out and left me to fend with minimal door swing space and a baby to extract; that nearly provoked a full on riot I can tell ya.

You should go to the one in Hersham, it's much more civilised.

However, the fact that disabled spaces outnumber parent and child by 5 to 1 indicates there aren't many people where who could handle a riot.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    Wandering around Hersham waitrose on a Saturday morning is one of the highlights of my week - I'm not joking.

I love seeing all the other 30-something Dads dressed head to toe in White Stuff but still rocking a pair of retro trainers - the 'still got it' touch.
  • joelsim
    I can't imagine being stuck in the trenches with Cobhamites to be fair. Much more community spirit in Hackney where I was before.
  • joelsim
    White Stuff and Rapha perhaps. And Diesel trainers. Ahem.

Oh and forty something.
  • asprilla
    Wandering around Hersham waitrose on a Saturday morning is one of the highlights of my week - I'm not joking.

I love seeing all the other 30-something Dads dressed head to toe in White Stuff but still rocking a pair of retro trainers - the 'still got it' touch.

You've seen me then.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    on the subject of North Surrey - I checked out Neil's Wheels on Saturday. Took Orange in there and they were quick and cheap. They don't sell bikes but have frames out back and do builds. Might get them to do my weekend bike build once I've bought the missus a house with a double garage.
  • asprilla
    on the subject of North Surrey - I checked out Neil's Wheels on Saturday. Took Orange in there and they were quick and cheap. They don't sell bikes but have frames out back and do builds. Might get them to do my weekend bike build once I've bought the missus a house with a double garage.

You should look at The Bike Fixer.

He's cheap, quick and he comes to you. If I need something doing he's always been able to pick up in the evening and then drop off the following evening. I've even had hip drop stuff round at 7.00 in the morning as I needed it that day.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    Fair play - I will check him out. Anything has to be better than that shower at East St.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,381

Surely if you need a 'still got it' touch, then almost by definition, you haven't still got it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • joelsim
    The 'I drive to festivals in my Audi' touch...
  • clarkey cat
    Surely if you need a 'still got it' touch, then almost by definition, you haven't still got it.

Yes, that is completely correct. Unless it relates to me - coz I still got it tell ya. I'm edgy, in a way no other 30 something Dad in the Surrey suburbs is: I still go to festivals - in an audi.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Joelsim wrote:
    I can't imagine being stuck in the trenches with Cobhamites to be fair. Much more community spirit in Hackney where I was before.

They've certainly been getting together recently :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.